Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VN-VP] Cleaning Frosted / Dirty Headlights

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
If you are sick of your headlights looking frosted and crap here is a simple little How To in order to clean them up a bit.

Tools / Products:
Screwdriver
Socket set / shifting spanner
Glass Cleaner/ similar product
Maybe some glue/ silicone

Step 1:
Disconnect the battery

Step 2:
Undo the 2 top bolts and the one behind the grille.
You may find it easier if you remove the grille to make it easier for yourself, but it is not necessary.
DSCF1114.jpg

Step 3:
Unplug the Loom on the back of the light and unscrew the screw which holds the indicator to the headlight.
DSCF1118.jpg

Step 4:
Once you have the headlight removed from the car you can remove the clips which hold the glass lens to the back of the headlight, these clips are shown below, Note there is 4 on top, 4 on the bottom, and 1 on each side of the headlight.
DSCF1117.jpg

Step 5:
Now you can remove the glass from the headlight assembly, this may require a little force depending how strong the seal is. Once off the glass cover should have the seal on it, or if it was anything like mine, half on it. but we'll fix this later, you might as well pull the seal off if it is already falling off.

Step 6:
Now we can clean up this thing, its not a bad idea to run it under the tap first just to wash out any dirt and duct that has collected over the years before you start spreading it around with a cloth...

Step 7:
Attack the inside the the glass cover with whatever you use for window cleaning, i used some cheapo foam glass cleaner that came in a can, once sprayed around evenly, use a microfibre towel or similar item to wipe off the excess cleaner on the light making sure you remove any marks or stains on the glass.

PLEASE NOTE: The following parts may ruin your reflective surface if you use certain products.

Step 8:
If you want you can clean the chrome relective surface around the headlight but be warned, due to the age of modt the lights this will be very weak and may already be peeling or flaking due to age, also using the wrong product may cause the reflective surface to be stripped away.

With my lights i just used a microfibre towel to carefully wipe away dirt on the reflective surface lightely, and i even noticed it peel at 1 point so be careful if you choose to do this.

Reassembly:

Step 9:
If you had the same problem as me and the rubber seal came off the glass lens you will need to reattach this, the way i did this was by putting the seal back in the headlight assembly (not on the glass cover) and i then lightely covered the seal with gasket glue, other products may also work.

Step 10:
Place the glass cover back against headlight assembly making sure it contacts the seal all the way around, you can now begin to reattach the clips, i found it was easier to start from the bottom, then do the top, then sides. the clips will require some force to go back on, if you cant force it using your hands, use a flat head screwdriver to pry them over.

Step 11:
Place the headlight back into the car and redo the bolts and screw. make sure you remember the screw that hold in the indicator otherwise it will fall out, (i know from experience, lucky the loom held it onto the car) Now reconnect the looms, stand back and admire your work.

Old and Busted:
DSCF0954.jpg

New Hotness:
DSCF1119.jpg

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Very nice. Looks heaps better. I was kinda thinking that it wouldn't do much, as these are glass headlights, not plastic. But wow! looks like new again. Now cleaning my headlights is on my to do list.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Unless VP is different, theres 4 bolts to take the headlight out. The two main ones, then two littles ones (one you have pointed to) and the other is near the indicator.

Last edited:

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
i have a thing there but it didnt have bolts on it, maybe mine came off sometime in its life

Dave Q

Lumina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Good stuff TVR.

Ive been wet-sanding and polishing up the headlights at home recently.

Luckily I dont have really old cars so I am not worried about peeling but I am getting some outstanding results with the different sand paper and polish. There are videos on YouTube.

Just remember that the headlight and the sandpaper has to stay wet at all times.

You change through the grades of sandpaper until you get to 2500 grit. The lights look ugly, scratched and cloudy for a time...but dont panic. The water turns milky white as you rub ( very gently) away. It can take a long time to rub the stuff away, you have to be patient.

Then you apply the cutting polish. I am using a stock orbital polish and a cheap polish machine. I finish off with a microfibre towel.

If its still icchy, keep polishing with the cut.

I dont know if some lights are unsutiable, sand and polish at your own risk.

M01ST

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VF SSV Redline, 02 VU SS Ute
Does this work the same way for vs.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
i never bothered looking at vr/vs headlights but if they are glass it should be very similar to this method

roverman88

Love my Commodores :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN Com V6 S Pac - 03 VY SS V8 Ute
hey lm just wondering how did you remove the clips from the top of the light?