Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cleaning Fuel Tank

FinnCommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe
I'm replacing the fuel pump assembly on my VX executive (the pump was dead) and while the remaining fuel in tank looks fairly clean, there are definitely some loose particles in there. There are some shiny specs but these look like wearing of the inner tank material.

Is it enough to empty out all the remaining fuel, put a small amount of clean fuel in and swish it about, then empty that out to clean it before installing new assembly and putting tank back up? What is the best way to empty the tank? I can't poor it out of filler neck as the little flap is in the way, there is something that looks like a little plug on the side but I'm not sure.

Would it be wise to run it on 98 RON on first refill? I've never done this, how empty should tank be to mix standard unleaded with 98?

Also, the bits of padding that go on top of tank between it and car have come loose. Will taping them back down, or paper glue be enough (since the tank will be pressing against car once back up) or they need to be properly replaced?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The filings in the tank will be from the failed pump. Need to give it a good wash out. Some cars you can wipe the tank out with a rag but I doubt your hand will fit in a Dore tank. So grab 10L of fuel and rinse it three times.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
All pumps have a filter, if you want just get Metho or some petrol and flush it out, wont hurt to much, while your at it change the petrol filter.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I had crap in my fuel tank on rebuild and took it out and dropped at a local radiator repair place that flushed it out and coated it with a thick liner to prevent any further rust and scale coming off. Couple hundred dollars but the car is a keeper, so worth it.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I had crap in my fuel tank on rebuild and took it out and dropped at a local radiator repair place that flushed it out and coated it with a thick liner to prevent any further rust and scale coming off. Couple hundred dollars but the car is a keeper, so worth it.
Plastic tank.