Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cleaning K&N filter

pando666

milk comes in 2 litres
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec
cleaned my panel filter the other day I used almost 1/2 bottle of cleaner and only used 29ml of oil,kit will clean 2x filters oil will do 6-7 recharges. So, my question is can you use another type of detergent(cleaner), say dishwashing liquid etc, instead of the K&N stuff?.

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
hey mate, when i had a K&N filter in my vn, the rectangle shaped one, to clean it, i gt a bucket and rinses it thorougly with petrol then just let it air out to dry, thats a cheaper alternative.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Degreaser, then wash out and dry, then oil with a litte WD-40.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
hot soapy water is best can use dishwash all good.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I just use the K&N products and they seem to last, I havn't run out of my first batch yet, been cleaning it every 10 thousand for over a year, then again, I give it a good rinse in the sink too.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
cleaned my panel filter the other day I used almost 1/2 bottle of cleaner and only used 29ml of oil,kit will clean 2x filters oil will do 6-7 recharges. So, my question is can you use another type of detergent(cleaner), say dishwashing liquid etc, instead of the K&N stuff?.

WTF?! Dude, i bought a K&N cleaner kit a long time ago, you DO NOT need to use half a bottle in one clean on your filter. You are supposed to do one coat of cleaner on your filter (not go nuts with it, just spray it lightly over the filter), let it soak, rinse the filter, let it air dry, then spray a light coating of oil on it.

Overcoating it with oil will decrease it's ability to flow more air as thick coats of oil will block the small holes in the filter which allow the air through.

I wouldn't advise using any detergents on it such as dishwashing liquid etc, it may cause the filter to dry and split etc. If you run out of filter CLEANER, just thouroughly clean it under running water, let it dry then oil it.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I seem to be using roughly the same % of each bottle, cleaner & oil, I think maybe you need to re-read the instructions on the bottles.....

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
hey i wouldn't use petrol it deteriorates the filter's fiber, use kero as its safe for the filter.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
was gonna suggest the same, if you got one of those kero tubs at work just wash it in that as it wont dry it and it will leave a oil behind on it if the drum hasnt been changed in a while.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
or get a lukey filter that you can just put the hose on