Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VZ] Cleaning MAF Sensor and Replacing Air Filter

Discussion in 'Holden Commodore How-To's' started by wassaby, May 18, 2010.

1. wassaby

wassaby New Member

Members Ride:
    SV6
    Step 1. Take off air intake guard.

Step 2. Undo bolt connecting the MAF sensor to the Air intake to the engine. Disconect MAF wires.

DSC05856.jpg

Step 3. Undo Air box cover, 3 screws. Put a rag in the pipe coming out of the engine to stop crap getting into the engine. Replace Air filter and clean bugs out of the bottom of the air box.

DSC05847.jpg

Step 4. Clean the MAF senor and connection with CRC MAF sensor Cleaner. Do not touch the MAF senosr at all other wise you will be up for a new one. It will dry in a few minutes by itself.

DSC05849.jpg

Step 5. Put everything back together. Make sure you have a good seal between the engine air intake pipe and the MAF sensor pipe.

After doing my sv6 i notice it to run and drive a lot smoother. Will be doing it every service from now on.

Enjoy

Rickio87 likes this.
  2. shaune_m

shaune_m Member

Members Ride:
    GS300 2JZ TURBO/ S2 RX7
    Great Thread mate thanks.
    Will give it a go shortly. Did you notice a big improvement?
    Cheers

3. QldKev

QldKev Member

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina - GENIII
    Good article.

I recently did this to my LS1 VX as it had a slight flat spot of idle. This car has 115,000 on it with more than half the k's I have put on it. It had not been done in the time I have had it. On removing the MAF I noticed a slight film of dust on the criss cross air intake bit. I used carby cleaner and left it to dry.

Over the last 200km (since I did it) it seems to have cleared up the flat spot sensation up, I have actually been getting slightly better fuel economy (dropped from 18L to 16L around town) and it idles a bit higher. Prior to this the idle also did not seem to udle up much for cold mornings (I am in Qld) where now it does idle about 900rpm when I first start it.

I will be doing it again (if I don't go mafless prior)

Qldkev

4. Dayvo

Dayvo Because i can

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 Series 2
    I tried some of that cleaner today . Mine was pretty black . Havn't taken it for a drive yet . Mine had something that looked like part of a rose petal stuck to it . That could have had something to do with the uneven idle i was having trouble with . Know idea how it got there

5. DoggFather

DoggFather Banned

Members Ride:
    VZ SV6
    You see how you have a pic on step 4, do I just spray the whole inside with CRC MAF cleaner? IE the black plastic parts

6. DoggFather

DoggFather Banned

Members Ride:
    VZ SV6
    Also the MAF would be still connected to the top half of the air box right?

7. drewwy

drewwy New Member

Members Ride:
    vr 3.8 ute
    Yes it would. If u want to clean out your intake tube dismantle intake tube from throttle body and maf and clean out by hand. Just remember to assemble ur maf sensor the right way around it should have an arrow on it with direction of air flow and as wassaby said DON'T touch the sensors on maf if you have maf off completely you can spray it from both sides

8. NZ Pioneer

NZ Pioneer NZ Pioneer

Members Ride:
    WH Statesman GenIII 5.7
    Thanks wassaby ... very straight forward and seems sound advice! :thumbsup: NZ Pioneer

9. Shooter03

Shooter03 Nek Minnit

Members Ride:
    Vz wagon
    Cheers mate, doing it when I get home tonight.

Posted with my iPhone 4s through tapatalk

10. exanVZ

exanVZ Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Thunder
    Sorry to bump such an old thread, just wanted to say thanks for this advice.
    I've had problems with misfiring on my VZ and a mechanic has already checked the coils and a few other things. He suggested I try this (not sure why he didn't?) but this guide was extremely helpful.

I will be sure to update this post if the situation improves.

Cheers!

11. vx_commodore

vx_commodore Member

Members Ride:
    VX Commodore 'S
    Probably a good thing he dident, Some mecanic's charge over $60 just to clean the MAF.

12. exanVZ

exanVZ Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Thunder
    Thanks VX sounds like I saved a bit of cash. Just wanted to update and say my car is 90% better after just cleaning the MAF. The misfiring has almost stopped, I haven't noticed it since I did it anyway, even under a serious thrashing. Looking back, the misfiring started a few months after installing a K&N but I didn't oil it myself at all. The car is quite old though, chances are it was just dust as the MAF wires itself didn't look too dirty.

Cheers

13. xSV666x

xSV666x New Member

Members Ride:
    07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
    Hay just a thought how can u spray maf cleaner on the maf when there's a rag there? Wouldnt the rag be better on the other side of maf like the throttle body side. Sorry I just dont understand that step:)

14. SID888

SID888 New Member

Members Ride:
    VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
    Remove the maf completely. Undo the tube from the throttle body side of the maf and also from the air box side of the maf. Then just hold it by the outside and spray the maf cleaner into it from both sides, allow it to dry and re install it again.

15. Deepo1985

Deepo1985 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vz sv6
    If your really game like I was ... Take the special star type bolts out and slide the sensor wire part out and spray it ..... Iv done this numerous times and you can see all the black muck just run out from it ....don't ask me why I would be so ballsy to play with fire and remove the sensor from it's casing but I do and its easier to make sure it's completely clean ...

16. xSV666x

xSV666x New Member

Members Ride:
    07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
    Cheers mate that's more like what I was thinking.lol as I don't really like touching stuff I don't know to much about

17. Silver6

Silver6 New Member

Members Ride:
    06 VE SV6
    Bringing it back from the dead. Just cleaned the MAF on the VE and I swear it drives so much smoother. Thanks for the info :)

18. VEdriver59

VEdriver59 Member

Members Ride:
    VE, 09 of 2008, Omega, Auto, 3.6 Litre, 6 Cylinder
    Dumb question I know but, getting old in the head these days but i just need to clarify, is the MAF Sensor the bit the electrical cable attaches to? If so, Is the bit the electrical cable attaches to part of the sensor or is the sensor only the bit that's inside the back tube, or inside the thing the cable attaches too?

What happens to the sensor if we touch it putting the cable back on? How does that stuff it up?

thanks for putting this up, I get about 200ks out of a tank fuel around town in Perth.

19. shueardm

shueardm Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SV6 and VT Olympic Edition Wagon
    I didn't even know what a MAF sensor was until I found this and googled what it does.
    Now I look to see if my VT also has a MAF and yes it seems it does, all the way back to VS. Begs the question, why is the title of thread prefixed with [VZ], shouldn't admin remove this?

20. Tonner Matt

Tonner Matt Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
    This thread was posted in the "How To" section of the forum, so it's pretty self explanatory.
    The thread was prefixed VZ because it was a specific "How To" for cleaning the MAF and replacing the air filter in a VZ.

If I started a thread "VZ LS1 Running Rough & Back Firing", should the moderators remove the VZ prefix in the thread title because of the fact that the VT, VX and VY commodores also came from the factory fitted with an LS1 ?