Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VZ] Cleaning MAF Sensor and Replacing Air Filter

wassaby

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
Step 1. Take off air intake guard.

Step 2. Undo bolt connecting the MAF sensor to the Air intake to the engine. Disconect MAF wires.

DSC05856.jpg

Step 3. Undo Air box cover, 3 screws. Put a rag in the pipe coming out of the engine to stop crap getting into the engine. Replace Air filter and clean bugs out of the bottom of the air box.

DSC05847.jpg

Step 4. Clean the MAF senor and connection with CRC MAF sensor Cleaner. Do not touch the MAF senosr at all other wise you will be up for a new one. It will dry in a few minutes by itself.

DSC05849.jpg

Step 5. Put everything back together. Make sure you have a good seal between the engine air intake pipe and the MAF sensor pipe.

After doing my sv6 i notice it to run and drive a lot smoother. Will be doing it every service from now on.

Enjoy

shaune_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
GS300 2JZ TURBO/ S2 RX7
Great Thread mate thanks.
Will give it a go shortly. Did you notice a big improvement?
Cheers

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
Good article.

I recently did this to my LS1 VX as it had a slight flat spot of idle. This car has 115,000 on it with more than half the k's I have put on it. It had not been done in the time I have had it. On removing the MAF I noticed a slight film of dust on the criss cross air intake bit. I used carby cleaner and left it to dry.

Over the last 200km (since I did it) it seems to have cleared up the flat spot sensation up, I have actually been getting slightly better fuel economy (dropped from 18L to 16L around town) and it idles a bit higher. Prior to this the idle also did not seem to udle up much for cold mornings (I am in Qld) where now it does idle about 900rpm when I first start it.

I will be doing it again (if I don't go mafless prior)

Qldkev

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I tried some of that cleaner today . Mine was pretty black . Havn't taken it for a drive yet . Mine had something that looked like part of a rose petal stuck to it . That could have had something to do with the uneven idle i was having trouble with . Know idea how it got there

DoggFather

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
You see how you have a pic on step 4, do I just spray the whole inside with CRC MAF cleaner? IE the black plastic parts

DoggFather

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Also the MAF would be still connected to the top half of the air box right?

drewwy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8 ute
Yes it would. If u want to clean out your intake tube dismantle intake tube from throttle body and maf and clean out by hand. Just remember to assemble ur maf sensor the right way around it should have an arrow on it with direction of air flow and as wassaby said DON'T touch the sensors on maf if you have maf off completely you can spray it from both sides

Shooter03

Nek Minnit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz wagon
Cheers mate, doing it when I get home tonight.

Posted with my iPhone 4s through tapatalk

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Sorry to bump such an old thread, just wanted to say thanks for this advice.
I've had problems with misfiring on my VZ and a mechanic has already checked the coils and a few other things. He suggested I try this (not sure why he didn't?) but this guide was extremely helpful.

I will be sure to update this post if the situation improves.

Cheers!