Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cleaning MF5 Manual Transmission Gears

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
When you strip down a gear box what would be the best liquid to clean the actual gears after inspecting them?

Is petrol ok?:thumbsup:

Or perhaps kerosene?

The reason I ask is that when I removed the oil from the transmission there was some very fine metal dust attached to the drain plug and I was thinking that the geras would have residues of metal filings etc.

So what do you reckon would be best for cleaning and decontaminating the gears once I pull them off the shafts?:whistling

Cheers:D

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
When you strip down a gear box what would be the best liquid to clean the actual gears after inspecting them?

Is petrol ok?:thumbsup:

Or perhaps kerosene?

The reason I ask is that when I removed the oil from the transmission there was some very fine metal dust attached to the drain plug and I was thinking that the geras would have residues of metal filings etc.

So what do you reckon would be best for cleaning and decontaminating the gears once I pull them off the shafts?:whistling

Hey kero is good and turps also and if you have comp air it dries them off quick.:thumbsup:

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
yeah turps is good, so it kero.

i wouldn't be too worried tho, a bit of filings on the gears isnt going to do any hard as it will just end up on the sump plug after the oil picks it up.

make sure when you put the balls and springs back in not to drop any of the balls, i think i may have done that and now i gotta take the box out again.

Just a tip for people doing the job themselves, if you loose one of the balls, and you have replaced the bearings, the smaller size bearings have the same size balls in them that are used with the springs, knock the cage out and push all balls to one side of the bearing and squeeze it in a vice and they will drop out.

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Shattered Bearing race

Hi Stewart1000

Thanks for the tips about the kero and turps and also the ball bearings.:thumbsup:

Was sorry to here you had to pull the trans out again, what a pain in the arse.:ranting:

I had difficulty getting the ball out of the selection housing, Magnets didn't work, turning the tranny upside down didn't work and in the end just undid the Selector return plugs pulled out the shaft and the steel ball dropped on the left hand side, so I just poked it out:)

After that trying to get the Extension housing seperated from the Carrier Plate was another challenge. I'm not sure of the gasket goo stuff they used to assemble the box with but it sure was strong. In the end I used a super thin chisel with a rubber mallet to seperate the two.

When I seperated them I was confronted with a bearing race. All the balls were intact as was most of the race but some bits were down by the selection housing but most of the bearing was still attached so that was a relief.

A Thanks goes out to you and that other chap for diagnosing the problem:thumbsup: You guys a money savers:bow:

Anyway, at the moment I;m off to the shops to buy some descent circlip pliers, outer and inner; mine broke as I was trying to get the snap ring off the outer race of the input shaft bearing.

One thing I've learn't is that you really do need descent tools. Cheap crap just doesn't do the job.:whistling

The box and gears look really good so far and when I turn the mainshaft it's as smooth as silk, hardly any play and I think I may have stopped driving the car just in time (362,000km).:dance:

All the best;:thumbsup:

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Well, I found out a bit of info about why ya shouldn't use petrol to clean components in the gear box.:whistling

I'm still researchin a bit more but from what I've read they reckon petrol gets into the metal and when everythings reassembled the petrol will give off vapours.:(

The build up of heat and the vapours can cause an explosion just like if you cut a 200 litre drum in half with an angle grinder. The heat generated will cause a bang.:rip:

Personally I can't understand the problem with washing gears in petrol but I didn't take any chances. I used Kero like the guys above advised; :thumbsup: it's safer doing stuff as advised by the more experienced guys here. And, I hate to turm my car into a bomb:D

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
I have rebuilt a few gearboxes using petrol to clean things. I always blow the parts dry with compressed air straight after i have washed them and have never had any problems. I have been told that you shouldnt use petrol to wash things because it is carcinogenic and can cause cancer if you are washing things in petrol all the time. The stuff that mechanics use in parts cleaners is supposed to be a healthier alternative.