Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cleaning My engine

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
Hey i pulled my turtle shell off my vx and the engine is filthy from dust and crap i just wanna know how everyone goes about cleaning up there engine and engine bays the manifold is hella dusty and it looks like im just gonna have to get a rag and start scrubbing my old mans got a pressure steam cleaner but ive heard these will damage stuff

totq

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8, Raptor S/C
dezza,
on a cold motor, i just use the degreaser cans and just spray it where the dirt/grease is and hose it off, then use a rag to soak up where the water pools up on the manifold, and give it a quick wipe, and the engine heat will dry everything up.
i've been doing it for years, use to work in a mechanical workshop thats what they used to do then pressure clean it off.
after that, you'll get a distinct smell but thats because of the degreaser and it goes away after a couple of days...

hope this helps.

thuan.

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
ok so spray it on then hose it of and soak it up with a rag and hope i dont spray water in anything electrical is it ok to get water on the belt?

totq

Reaction score
Members Ride
water on the belt is no probs, when you start the motor with water on the belt, you might hear sqeaks but it'll go away almost immediately as the belt spins itself dry immediately too.
stay away from the alternator and fuse box and you'll be fine, if you do accidentally get some to those areas, just be patient and wait for the water to naturally dry off.
what i do is after i've hosed off, i just run the motor for a little while and the temperature would dry everything up very quickly.
bear in mind water splashes up from road puddles do occur when you drive...

let me know how you go..

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
hey i cleaned up the engine today used degreaser and a rag then washed it all off with a gentle spray of water after i turned the car on the belt was squeeking but aftrer a minute or so was back to normal plus she looks a million bucks thanks for the tips :)

hoarey85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.

hoarey85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Hey that link for your mates ute doesn't work.....

Hmm it worked for me, i'm not sure but i think you might need to be a paid up member to acess the members ride.. i will attach a few before and after pic's for you instead...:)

Attachments

• Ute072rs.jpg
    Ute072rs.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 228
  • Ute074rs.jpg
    Ute074rs.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 222
  • Ute075rs.jpg
    Ute075rs.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 207
  • Ute080rs.jpg
    Ute080rs.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 197
  • Ute081rs.jpg
    Ute081rs.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 234

totq

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey i cleaned up the engine today used degreaser and a rag then washed it all off with a gentle spray of water after i turned the car on the belt was squeeking but aftrer a minute or so was back to normal plus she looks a million bucks thanks for the tips :)

No worries Dezza, glad to have helped. The afterwash degreaser smell when the engine warms up will go away in a couple of days, if it hasn't already.

Bitumens Shadow

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 SS Ute
I was just thinking about a proper degrease for the engine last weekend. I asked Holden to do a engine degrease for me & it was a pussy effort from them. The pictures have really helped me with what I was thinking, unbolt & remove off to one side & go for it.