Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cleaning Redline wheels-any suggestions?

athol66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Hi , the black wheels on the Redline are a bugger to keep clean. I have tried Armour all wheel cleaner, then rinse and dry per the instructions but by the next day the wheels seem dirty again. Anyone tried other products and what were the results? cheers

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Welcome to having a performance car with gloss black wheels.

Lots of people have different opinions, but I have never found anything that really works. I've tried sealants as per what you use on your paintwork, I've used Mr Sheen, but none of them seem to last, BUT they do tend to allow the wheels to release the brake dust better. But don't last long before they need to be reapplied. Best thing I can suggest is to wash them regularly with normal car wash and an old microfibre car wash cloth (that will never go on the paintwork again) on a regular basis.

When it comes time to replace your brake pads, look at something with ceramic in them, as the dust isn't as bad.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
The only way to get around this is to replace brake pads with something less dusty...but then you potentially mess with braking performance...

Wash weekly with microfibre and regular car shampoo if you wanna keep them clean...
Your issue is not what to clean them with....it is very messy brake pads ;)

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Series 2 SSV Redline W375 2016 FGX XR6 T
Hi , the black wheels on the Redline are a bugger to keep clean. I have tried Armour all wheel cleaner, then rinse and dry per the instructions but by the next day the wheels seem dirty again. Anyone tried other products and what were the results? cheers

I use
images

from Chemical Guys keeps the shine longer in my opinion.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
If you can drive and dont tend to gutter rash your wheels, id suggest getting a ceramic coating applied to the wheels

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
wheely clean by bowens! and a good microfiber wheel stick

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
If you can drive and dont tend to gutter rash your wheels, id suggest getting a ceramic coating applied to the wheels

Yep, had mine done when the car was done.

All I do is pressure clean them and they come up as new.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
I got mine ceramic coated. When washing the car I first loosen of excess dust and grime with the pressure washer or hose. I use Bowden's Products on my car but for wheels I use Armour All Heavy Duty car wash because a) its cheap and b) its the wheels. I wash using a clean sponge and use a wheel brush only on the hard to reach places inside of the wheels.

Strattos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SS
I've been drying my wheels using Bowden's Boss Gloss as part of drying the whole car as per their guide (use a different cloth for the wheels though).

Should mention we get NO rain here and I've not got Brembos and the brake dust a lot of people say they produce, but for me, using this method they stay clean and glossy until the next wash. I wash weekly. This just my method if it helps.