Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cleaning the Throttle Body on a VE V6 with Drive By wire

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by VFSV6FORME, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Dayvo

Dayvo Because i can

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 Series 2
    My daughter is a neat freak with anything else but her car . She needs a husband so he can clean it .( Just putting it out there )

lmoengnr likes this.
  2. krusing

krusing Active Member

Members Ride:
    2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
    I can relate to that :cool:,
    I have 30, 28 & 26 year old, all daughters, and I have to wash their cars :rolleyes: however, I WILL not clean or vacuum inside, o_O
    As I am a bit afraid what I might see, and what animals are in them :eek:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Dayvo and Lex like this.
  3. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    lol....one speck of dust in the house and its armageddon yet the car ? Meh. I can clean the inside one day and it will be filthy the next. I honestly don't know how she does it.

krusing and Dayvo like this.
  4. Dayvo

Dayvo Because i can

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 Series 2
    Exactly

5. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    My daughter left her Astra with me when she went on holidays.
    I gave it a service, then gave it a wash...
    It was looking a bit ratty, so did a 3 stage paint correction. Came up looking brand new.

Refused to do anything in the cabin though, didn't have enough Personal Protective Equipment to spend anytime in there...:eek:

Anthony121, krusing, VS_Pete and 2 others like this.
  6. krusing

krusing Active Member

Members Ride:
    2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
    Best not to ASK ! :rolleyes:
    Because you probably don't want to know ;) LOL

7. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    Just something that women are very capable of...:D

VS 5.0 likes this.
  8. VFSV6FORME

VFSV6FORME Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 STORM Series 1
    Off topic but
    My daughter is 26 year old and because she is part Maltese she is very strong. She has no trouble picking two cement bags on each Shoulder and walking away, i cant even move one of them. In the last nine years she has help me Dig 9 Hole the Largest 1 Cubic Meter and fill it full of concrete after she mixed it in a wheelbarrow with me. Yes these holes are for a 3 to 6 inch steel pole for Satellite Dishes and she has help me Construct a Satellite Farm and wiring them Up + help me in the Control room where I have 8 Monitors + a Main TV ( 8 years to build) and Only two Days Ago my Main Computer **** itself big time and the Computer is the Heart of the System so I now Have to wait until I build a new Computer from Parts from MSY. F!@#$%^&*K and $$$$ to build a good i7.
    Anyhow the Throttle Body on the Cheap VE has to wait until other thing in my Computer room are Fixed as the Computer Room that runs the Sat tv room has Priority.
    Now

9. VFSV6FORME

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 STORM Series 1
    I'm Maltese, My wife is Scottish and the lot of them are so Untidy that it puts tears in my eyes. I'm 69 and spend most days clean after them. In the Order of Untidiness 1/ My wife 2/ My son 3/ Then My Daughter you can even see her in her bed room this is how bad she is, I pull my hear out of my head all the times, but otherwise m kids are Good. In General my Daughter is super untidy and this alone drive me mad as I'm reasonable tidy. My satellite TV room is spotless and the cleanest and largest room in the house.......Kid !! they were put on Earth to drive us Mad.
    Anyhow Back on The throttle Body I will come back after I fix it or f..k it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Lex likes this.
  10. VTS5

VTS5 TechJunkie

Members Ride:
    VE OMEGA
    Because they didn't come with the user manual :D

11. VFSV6FORME

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 STORM Series 1
    Well I cleaned The Throttle Body today + the MAF sensor (Yes Using MAF Cleaner to do the MAF) and I found the Throttle Body was Shocking. The Only downside of this I broke the TANG on the throttle Body itself. I had my wife hold the T/B upside down for ease to see the Connector and I did what I had to do but the Tang come with and I was not Violent on it. Anyway when the Car was Finished and tested for 15 Minutes the revs up and down via my foot with the T/B harness sitting there on the T/B by itself and after I stopped the engine I pushed the Harness Fully to the end and got a large screwdriver to hold it there so the inside 'O" ring (no doubt for water Protection) was slightly crushed ( original Mark) and gave the Connector on the top row a bit of black adhesive Silastic.

Its dirty, Actually had a ridge 0.5 mm half way around. Also I made sure that the Electronic bits (motor section) were kept on the top all the time when I clean it with Spay on Throttle cleaner and a Old Tooth Brush. On another note I found the MAF sensor was Clean.
    I took Photo from one side only but the air cleaner side was dirty too. The Photo shows T/B to the Manifold.
    [​IMG]

It clean
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    greenacc, Dayvo, VS 5.0 and 3 others like this.
  12. Fu Manchu

Fu Manchu Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ V6
    There is two types of gaskets for these. The old paper gasket orange in colour and a metal one with silicon seals.
    It goes with out saying, use the metal gasket if it needs replacing.

13. VFSV6FORME

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 STORM Series 1
    You can see by my photo's that our car used paper gasket orange in color. I did not replace it (was reasonably thick, bit more than a paper) as it was still good but it did leave a very slight print of the orange on the throttle Body.
    Was thinking last night where that lug or that TANG broke off on the Throttle body itself. Now I dont know if it was Plastic, Nylon, Bakelite or other but once I had the T/B off I had a good look at it and it looked like it was broken 10 years ago. Most of the time when any plastic breaks off you can see the new tear mark where it breaks but not this one as it looked old. Who knows I might have been broken before to change Spark plugs or Coil packs as I tried to find the broken lug as that area was very clean but I found Nothing. Spoke to a Mechanic mate of mine and he told me they have broken a few and what they do is push the connector in, mark it with sharp pencil or other, remove the connector, look for the pencil mark, then put the smallest amount of super clue on each side on the T/B itself about 2 mm in and put the connector back in and hold it there until the glue works. Also he told me most shops today dont throw away old Throttle Bodies as they can become useful for spares as to buy a new on will cost you over $400 +.

14. Kalie

Kalie New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Commodore Wagon
    Just so all you guys no, some woman are very mechanical minded. My father is a mechanic and I can remember cleaning out my very first carby with a tooth brush and petrol at the age of 7.
    I have had quite a few cars in my time, how ever I have found the VE a pain in the arse to work on.

Literly every job is a mission and even the smallest job can turn pair shapped quickly.
    A few weeks ago, did a regular service, dropped the sump, went to change the oil filter and bam, snapped the oil filter housing bolt strait off, what a night mare to get the old one off, went to the wreakers and just got a second handy and replaced the top housing.
    Just had extractors and high flow cats installed on her, had the 02 sensors installed and went on the dyno, couldn't tork her up past bugger all, as mechanic told me that he would blow a piston strait out of engine due to the spark delay or something.
    So next job involved me replacing all the spark plugs and ignition coils, which was actually the easiest job I have done so far on the VE.
    Now the problem I am having now is it's purging when taking my foot off the accelerator, much worse when I am sitting on 100kms and have to ease up cause some idiot going 85 in the fast lane on the FWY.
    Any way, not only is it purging, I had a heap of error codes cone up on way home from work late at night, was purging on the fwy but wasn't until I exited and came to a roundabout that all this kicked in, made me drive in emergency mode or what ever, pulled into servo, let it sit for 10 mins and was fine after that.

Now it's just throwing the check engine code, but after using a code checker, it's telling me it's a 02 sensor out near the high flow cats?
    It wasn't bringing up any of those codes after the dyno tune and that was after the cats were installed.
    I have taken off throttle body, was pretty filthy and cleaned with carby cleaner. I am yet to clean the MAF sensor as I didn't even no you could buy **** for that.
    After taking off the throttle body, I noticed that on the inside of the plenum there has been some quite large chips of cast chip away from the throttle body housing to the plenum. I'll attach some pics, can someone let me know if this could be causing my dramas.
    (Also car is going back on the dyno, but wanted to sort this mess out first).
    Thanks in advance.
    Ps it's not letting me upload any pics, they are too large apparently.

15. Trevor loves holden.

Trevor loves holden. Active Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Purge Solenoid Valve or PVC valve could cause it to surge.

16. Utel67

Utel67 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Vs s3 ute
    Since you have O2 sensor codes start there by checking the wiring, if the wiring is good replace the sensor.

17. Kalie

Kalie New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Commodore Wagon
    Thanks Mate, I thought this might be the issue, I will replace it, see if that helps. Thanks

18. Kalie

Kalie New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Commodore Wagon
    The Mechanic that put the new extractors and high flow cats, installed new o2 sensors and it wasn't throwing 02 sensors on the dyno tune, and since I have replaced the the ignition coils and spark plugs, it's throwing 02, sensor codes and is purging on the fwy only when I take the foot off the gas slightly.
    Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated

19. Fu Manchu

Members Ride:
    VZ V6
    I found on my VZ (similar design underneath) which uses the same O2’s as VE that the AC drain was going down the O2 loom and water was getting into the plug through the seals on the back.
    Used an extension loom and repositioned the loom.

20. Fu Manchu

Members Ride:
    VZ V6
    Unclip the hose from the valve cover that has the schizen thing GM call a PCV. Get a pipe cleaner down there (this is mentioned in Holden tech bulletins) soaked in carby/throttle body cleaner and clean out the valve.
    It’s two holes and one hole (all undersized). Might pay to spray some in there a day before an oil change.

Hoses can also seem sealed but not be sealed.

Try replacing the ports on the intake manifold with brass threaded ones. The plastic ones don’t seal after a while. Three types used. Brass (and solid as). Plastic threaded. Plastic push in.

Remove the brake servo hose and plug it with a bolt. See if the idle improves.

Do similar with other vacuum hoses.

Make sure you used a new inlet manifold gasket.

I also swear by Suburu top end cleaner. It foams up through the whole top end. Magic stuff.

Go back and double check fitting of plugs and coils. Recheck gaps. (Yes we should do that even if the box says we don’t anymore)

Make sure genuine O2’s are used.