Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cleaning the Throttle Body on a VE V6 with Drive By wire

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yes. I would not feel comfortable cleaning it still bolted on the car. It's too half rsed and all jobs should be done well the first time.
Throttle body cleaner, an old toothbrush to get into the hard to get spots and then wipe with a paper towel,

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
By that I would say by foaming up it not a liquid and wont go easily up the shaft into the Electronics section.

Nope. It’s because it’s one of the best cleaners on the market.
I access the intake with the spray via the two side ports on the intake manifold.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Now this is the last info I need and on the VE it the same as the link/photo Above. How do you get this sucker out, has to be a trick

BAC9745A-C581-4444-BBD3-31299664CE07.jpeg

387D1133-418E-44B5-851C-F8B93EAD1AE6.jpeg

6E0904C1-B656-4624-9B37-2D0AED50588C.jpeg

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Good Man, you would never pick this until told. Where the point of the Arrow is do you push that black thing towards the floor by using a very small screw driver in that middle slot (leverage)on the white thingy so the white middle locking tab can slip over the black section to get the harness out. Wonder if anyone has topped the throttle body over to see whats happening before disconnecting.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Good Man, you would never pick this until told. Where the point of the Arrow is do you push that black thing towards the floor by using a very small screw driver in that middle slot (leverage)on the white thingy so the white middle locking tab can slip over the black section to get the harness out. Wonder if anyone has topped the throttle body over to see whats happening before disconnecting.

Looks like you press the black tab towards the grey lock.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
My daughter to helped me check my throttle body today and check if it fully opens pressing the pedal with the engine off. Yes it does. I gave it a good clean while we were there.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
When you say "make sure you hold it the right way" do you mean clean it with the Electronics facing up?

Yes, so liquid will NOT get into the Electronics
the other option, place a plastic bag over it with a elastic band around the plastic bag. then you could have the electronics face up where it would be covered.
The only thing I found was difficult, is getting the connector off, after that step, its very easy.
Time from start to finish, [without rushing it] 1/2 hour, depends how dirty it is.

The only, and best way to clean it is to "Remove It", then you know its been done properly,
Not like the Stealers [Dealers], manually open the throttle and clean with a cloth/Rag, and charge you $99. Highway robbery , Thieves !, never again.
After they so call cleaned it, I removed it, and checked it, and it was still Filthy/Dirty at the back of it.
You could see they did a pathetic attempt, probably an apprentice that didn't have a clue, and no one supervising, where you still pay full price, that is financial advantage by deception.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

You flick the grey clip out. Use your finger. Finger nail. Small flat blade screw driver if you have Shrek fingers.

Then press the tab down with your thumb or finger by squeezing against the connector housing. Just squeeze it. Then wiggle and pull gently. It comes off.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
My daughter to helped me check my throttle body today and check if it fully opens pressing the pedal with the engine off. Yes it does. I gave it a good clean while we were there.
Good Man!! this will be my daughters Job to keep he foot on the pedal. Looking at the Cheap VE that I got I have noticed the Throttle body to look newer (possible been changed) than the rest of the Engine. Also I have noticed the alternator to be the same It looks like I was change before I purchased the Car. Back on the Throttle Body, If it take the Pipe work in front of it OFF and get My daughter to give it Full throttle and I see it Clean for a 156,000 K car I would say the throttle Body has been Changed as the Alloy looks exactly like My VF and The VF has Done only 3200 K