Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cleaning the throttle body on a VY2 SS

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Just had a look through all 6 pages i the extremely handy how-to section of the site, looking for a how-to guide on cleaning the throttle body of a VY2 SS and found nothing. I had a go at cleaning mine yesterday but was only game to clean as far as i could get my fingers past the butterfly value thingy. Does anyone know if we have one of these tucked away somewhere that would help the likes of me that hasn't got the mechanical know how to go past the basics?
Cheers all.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Just had a look through all 6 pages i the extremely handy how-to section of the site, looking for a how-to guide on cleaning the throttle body of a VY2 SS and found nothing. I had a go at cleaning mine yesterday but was only game to clean as far as i could get my fingers past the butterfly value thingy. Does anyone know if we have one of these tucked away somewhere that would help the likes of me that hasn't got the mechanical know how to go past the basics?
Cheers all.
Try Nulon Throttle Body cleaner (its in a spray can). Whilst opening the throttle body with engine running (take intake pipe off first) spray the stuff in. A whole lot of smoke and gunk
will spray out the exhaust. Be careful that the spray cans nozzle attachment doesnt get sucked into the throttle body as there is a fair bit of induction suction when you open the
throttle. I think there is a video on Nulons website on how to do it.
Cheers

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Cheers all.

Often wondered about this my self? My biggest fear is does spraying anything with an alcohol/hydrocarbon base or whatever the **** contains,does it have any detrimental effect on the o2 sensors.I know my mechanic mate swears by cleaning the throttle body,reckons it smokes it head off whilst carrying out the procedure but the difference it makes is like night and day,but my biggest fear is poisoning the oxygen sensors.Any one clear this thought up for me or has onyone done it and they have indeed packed it in for the night

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
You won't poison the O2 sensors with carb. clean nor with washing any of the residue in the TB through the engine. Those things will burn (they are ultimately from the fuel and oil). What you may do by spraying the carb. cleaner into the TB with it in situ is to wash the lubricant from the throttle shaft.

I think it is better to remove the TB and clean the TB using a cloth soaked in kerosene and an old toothbrush. That way it is possible to avoid getting a solvent into the throttle shaft bushes or bearings and to access all parts of the TB. I also remove the IAC valve to clean that (just the end, not the gear, although if the grease has hardened you can use some Li spray grease) and the IAC port.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Remove throttle body with 10mm socket, only 3 bolts. Remove 2 coolant hoses from throttle body and remove cable. Spray the crap out of the throttle body and dry with paper towels. Done

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Doesn't it defeat the purpose of a air filter if you are going to remove the intake system along with the air filter to spray cleaner into the throttle body? That aside i was stunned by just how dirty the throttle body was with just getting my finger into it wrapped in a rag.
How is the throttle cable connected to the throttle body, is that just attached with a screw? Now if (and it is a big if because i have a fear of breaking something when i decide to do these sorts of things lol) i decide to remove the throttle body completely to clean it by hand would brake cleaner be ok to use on a cloth to remove the crap?

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
You won't poison the O2 sensors with carb. clean nor with washing any of the residue in the TB through the engine. Those things will burn (they are ultimately from the fuel and oil). What you may do by spraying the carb. cleaner into the TB with it in situ is to wash the lubricant from the throttle shaft.

I think it is better to remove the TB and clean the TB using a cloth soaked in kerosene and an old toothbrush. That way it is possible to avoid getting a solvent into the throttle shaft bushes or bearings and to access all parts of the TB. I also remove the IAC valve to clean that (just the end, not the gear, although if the grease has hardened you can use some Li spray grease) and the IAC port.

Would this still be applicable if you have fly-by-wire throttle?

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Would this still be applicable if you have fly-by-wire throttle?

Very hard to do insitu by yourself as there is no cable to pull to open and close TB, do like "richerdpalinkas" said and remove the TB and spray and clean with carby cleaner or kero.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Throttle cable is easy, just open the throttle blare and you can see how the cable comes off the half moon shape when there is slack. Make sure to remove the idle air control which is at the top of the throttle body and give it a good clean. It may idle all over the place initially but if you follow these steps in the picture it should be all good. Mind you I think the temp of the engine during the idle relearn has to be above 80 degrees
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369989207.837879.jpg