Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cleaning throttle body sv6 ve

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Only once before, how often should I do it? And what do you recomend for cleaning?

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
go to jaycar or dick smith and ask them for a can of electrical contact cleaner should be about $10 don't be afraid to give the maf afew good squirts of this stuff it drys off very quickly.

i clean my maf about 1 week after i clean my filter. when you reoil your filter a bit of excess oil will blow through on to your maf putting off it's reading slightly i clean my filter everytime i change my oil about every 10thou i allow 1 week for the excess oil to be driven off my otr's k&n plan then clean the maf.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I must admit I rarely oil my pod too.

When you say "change my oil every 10" are talking about the Oil in your engine?
I don't touch my oil...

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I'll go down later today and buy some maf cleaner, do you use carby or something elsefor the filter? And if you change your oil every 10 weeks, what do you use??

Cheers mate

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
i don't change my oil every ten weeks i change it every 10thou 10000kms.

i have always cleaned my filters with the following method.

spray heavily with cheap $1.50 supercheap degrease.
wash in a bucket of warm water with a big of morning fresh in it.
rince in a bucket of just clean water.
sit in sun till dry.
reoil with a light spray of WD40.

it's fairly important to reoil them as the oil helps block alot of smaller crap getting into the motor.

as for engine oil i was using mobile 1 0w-40 but i got a 20L drum of penrite 5-50 sin for $90 bucks but thats almost run out i'll probably go back to Mobile 1 but maybe in the 10w40 version.

SVSIXER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6
My sv6 has now come up with the same issue. As it seems to only be intermittent i am wondering if it just needs to be cleaned out before i go shelling out $600+ to replace the whole unit. I get the same warning lights as the other users but i can stop it by simply turning the car off for 5 minutes and firing up again. this stops the problem for about a week or so. Any advice before i go replacing the whole thing??

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
I found with my sv6 cleaning the MAF and throttle body made a world of difference.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Be careful just what you use to clean the Throttle Body (Carby Cleaner) and MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) use only MAF Cleaner (both readily available in pressure pack cans from Auto Parts (Supercehap etc)). Read instructions on both cans if you are not familiar with use of.