Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cleaning throttle body sv6 ve

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Hey, lately my car feels like its going abit sluggish.

Especially on the highway in 6sth gear. When I put my foot down it sounds like at around 90km it sounds like its gurgling?

Took off my pod, cleaned it, then tried taking the throttle body off, there was one screw I couldnt reach :bang: and a big plastic thing attached to it that I couldnt move :bang: so instead I got a cloth and wiped just inside the blade, there was ALOT of sooty crap :bang: but couldnt go too far in.

Is this potentially the problem??

Wanna get rid of the pod and go OTR but they are bloody expensive $699!

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
the alloytecs seem to breath very heavy on the pcv system. seems to be a comman thing i just cleaned my throttle body yesterday i didn't take it off just sprayed so degreaser on a rag and wiped it all out.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
yep they get dirty, if you also have a lubed up pod, spray some carby or brake clean through the maf sensor, that will make them run a bit ordinary if they get oil on them

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
My intake is strictly stock at the moment but I did take it off the other week and there was a substantial amount of oil in the 'black air box' that sits just before the throttle. Dunno what the correct name for it is.

If I tilted it to a side angle, you could actually see the oil running from side to side.

Can you install an oil catch can for a stock6??? lol

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
Can someone explain where and what the throttle body is so I can understand what you are talking about and I can clean mine out.
Cheers!!

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Hey mate, the throttle body on the VE's sixes is the where the cold air intake attaches to the engine. If you take the intake off and look inside you should see a blade.

Thanks for the help guys, so i dont need to take it off to clean it properly?

Just in 6th gear around 90k's and hour it sounds like it gurgling.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
i had no trouble cleaning mine with the throttle body still attached to the manifold.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Can someone explain where and what the throttle body is so I can understand what you are talking about and I can clean mine out.
Cheers!!
The throttlebody is a metal "butterfly" which regulates the amount of air let into the motor.

When you actuate the accelerator pedal you are actuating the butterfly on the throttle body, allowing more air to be brought into the motor.

On the Alloytec motor, the throttlebody is positioned on the front of the intake manifold.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
you have a pod i see so did you clean the maf sensor?