Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cleaning throttle body

Keegzzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
So my plan for today is to clean the throttle body, I know half the job but don't want to screw anything up so I was just wandering if anyone can just give a quick descriptive removal of throttle body or if there's a guide just put a link, thanks in advance.

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
Is it dirty? I mean it's not a carburettor. So why would you want/need to clean it?

The MAF is a different story. I can understand why you'd want to clean that but I doubt you'll achieve much cleaning the TB.

If you really wanna clean something, clean the plenum. They get filthy and it will help your throttle response. There's definitely threads on here how to do all these things. Do a search. Disassembly for all parts mentioned is pretty simple. Just make sure if you remove the plenum to stuff some rags in the holes before you undo any internal bolts so you don't lose them down inside the intake.

Keegzzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
It's a bit dirty... I've done a little cleaning just around the throttle. It's just that it's lacking power and I figured if the throttle is clogged it could cause it.. But you reckon the plenum?

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
It's a bit dirty... I've done a little cleaning just around the throttle. It's just that it's lacking power and I figured if the throttle is clogged it could cause it.. But you reckon the plenum?

I've removed several TB's off of various Ecotec's and I've never seen a particularly dirty TB. I have also removed a number of plenums from the same motors and every one was absolutely covered in thick black gunk.

I polished my plenum and while doing that also thoroughly cleaned the plenum internally. I, and others who have done the same and have posted on here, noticed an immediate improvement in throttle response.

Do I think that'll fix your issue? Not necessarily. If it's doing what I think it's doing there are a number of possible causes. The best option first up is to check for error codes and go from there. Instructions to do that can also be found on JC. So I'm not saying don't clean your throttle body but I'd bet you're plenum is way, way dirtier than your TB. It's really not a big job to remove and replace but it will take a bit of elbow grease to get it all clean and shiny again. Wish I'd taken before and after's of mine but I probably have a plenum I haven't cleaned out the back. I'll go snap a pic if I do and show you.

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
So here's a photo of what the inside of your plenum most probably looks like.

And here is the TB on the same plenum. Bear in mind this has been sitting in my shed for near on three years so the TB has collected some dirt and oxidation in the moist Gold Coast air. It looks significantly worse than when I first removed it.

I think it's pretty apparent what most needs cleaning and will most adversely affect performance. Like I said, I and other posters have all noticed an improvement in throttle response after cleaning the plenum.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
So here's a photo of what the inside of your plenum most probably looks like.

And here is the TB on the same plenum. Bear in mind this has been sitting in my shed for near on three years so the TB has collected some dirt and oxidation in the moist Gold Coast air. It looks significantly worse than when I first removed it.

I think it's pretty apparent what most needs cleaning and will most adversely affect performance. Like I said, I and other posters have all noticed an improvement in throttle response after cleaning the plenum.

Take a photo of the other side of the TB, that is where all the PVC gasses are released back into the engine (this creates all the black crud in the plenum).

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
It's a VT they are designed to be slow from factory. When's the last time you gave it a good service?