Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cleaning throttle body

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
hey everyone i'm attempting to clean my throttle body and got suck, i have the air intake pipe off and i'm wondering what do i do about the throttle cable and the other cable that's there? i see that to get the TB out i have to remove them. how do i do it and is there any chance the throttle might be off if i bugger this up?
cheers stretch

Soybean

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 5-speed
why do you want to clean your throttle body?
is it covered in crap?

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
haha no sooner had i said this than i ran into another problem...i know it's safe to just unhook everything (as long as it goes back) but i couldnt get the throttle cable off the hook bit...i could see that you have to push it forward but should i use a screwdriver to force it, or what? i dont want to damage anything...

and while we are at it is the plenum as simple to open as getting hex key and undoing the top?

cheers hope all my questions aren't as dumb as they seem, stretch

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
thansk man I need to know this stuff too.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
big_stretch said:
haha no sooner had i said this than i ran into another problem...i know it's safe to just unhook everything (as long as it goes back) but i couldnt get the throttle cable off the hook bit...i could see that you have to push it forward but should i use a screwdriver to force it, or what? i dont want to damage anything...

and while we are at it is the plenum as simple to open as getting hex key and undoing the top?

cheers hope all my questions aren't as dumb as they seem, stretch

Opening up the plenum is quite easy, just make sure that you don't damage the gasket / rubber seal that is in there. Some manuals say to replace it, but if you are careful enough, you can replace the original in its own groove. I've only ever cleaned the throttle body when its attached to the engine, so I can't help you with the cables etc.

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
ah thanks mate...yeah i probly should get all the gaskets and stuff before i try it incase i need them...i'd hate to have it all apart then have the gasket fall apart...thanks anyway.

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
why pull the cables off? just unbolt it and put it as far to one side as you can, I just left them on when i did mine and it worked

bobza

Reaction score
hey mate,

done this today, with the throttle cable, just foce it away, it is a ball that its clipped over, i used s screw driver but just take a bit of care, once you have removed that then take off the bracket which consists of 3 screws. once this is off unbolt the actual throttle body which consits of two nuts, make sure u have disconnected the other two pipes(at the bottom, real little, one is clamped other just pulls off) then u can remove the actual throttle body. before cleanin with carb cleaner remove the IAC and TPS(the two black things).

hope this helps guys

cheers
bobz