Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cleaning underneath the Park Assist buttons

liammackie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Hey guys, long time lurker, new poster.

Just a quick one here (hopefully)! The missus spilt some of her drink onto the Traction control, Auto Park and Park assist button cluster in my VF SV6 and it's now sticking. Any ideas on removing the buttons/cleaning without damaging trim too much?

Maloo37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais, VF2 SSVR UTE
I don't know how to remove the buttons but I would go to a computer or electronic store as they have different types of cleaning products to us on sensitive electronic equipment. That might work with out removing the buttons.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I'm not sure whether this is a good idea but my first thought was a quick squirt of MAF sensor cleaner.

Might free up the stickiness and what falls through should mostly evaporate.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Be careful with what you use as the trim could get eaten away with the wrong chemical.

My advice is use a small paintbrush (soft bristles so no scratching) and spray some water on it, then just brush around the buttons and push the buttons and it should loosen them up, then dry with a soft cloth.
Or if you have access to VERY good cleaning products designed for interiors of cars and plastics you can use them in place of water, or even a little bit of steam if its bad, but not too long as could cause damage.

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
A bit of contact cleaner or some mild brake cleaner should work, but as said earlier make sure that it is safe to use on interior plastics.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon
Best thing ever is pure swabbing alcohol. My partner brings me home those swabs from her work (hospital). The alcohol gets in and dissolves most sticky stuff, and the swabs can be used sideways so that they go down between the button and the surround. Nice thing is that the alcohol evaporates away and (as long as you do it with the car turned off) shouldn't short any contacts.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Worse comes to worse just buy the new switches but be care from where you buy them as some Holden dealers spare parts are thieves. I got a shock yesterday from a Holden dealer near us wanting $104 for a bit of plastic half the size of a house brick yet another Holden dealer 5 K further away from me the price of the same item was $75 and even that is a rip off for a piece of plastic possibly made in China.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
Worse comes to worse just buy the new switches but be care from where you buy them as some Holden dealers spare parts are thieves. I got a shock yesterday from a Holden dealer near us wanting $104 for a bit of plastic half the size of a house brick yet another Holden dealer 5 K further away from me the price of the same item was $75 and even that is a rip off for a piece of plastic possibly made in China.
as above, best solution is the wipes/swabs, as for parts, best del I get is from springwood holden-see hayley