Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VY] Cleaning VY air conditioning evaporator without removing dash

VZ04SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 A5 IMPULSE BLUE
Thanks vr5speedv6!
Got heaps of gunk off my evaporator and the flow's way better than it was. I butchered the hole a bit as the VZ doesn't have as much room to work with but all good. I just forked out for a new blower unit from Holden a few weeks ago thinking that was the problem...shoulda tried this first...oh well :oops:

mdjbags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
Great thread. Has anyone tried this on a VX? Is it thr same as the VY (like so many other parts).

scott calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
just completed the clean this morning, thx allto these tips.
took the blower out and accessed easily through the inlet, pretty grubby at first, with a lot of muck on my fingers . a gentle rag, some degreaser and cleaner, then washes off with water via the garden sprayer. keep a rag handy as the overflow that doesnt drain through the AC drain comes out through the hole youre working in. and after spending 5 minutes looking for the screws that hold the glove box in i discover it just clips in place !.
airflow significantly better. wishing though i used citrus degreaser ! the smell will go in a few days though :)
no screws left over. this makes me feel like doing the heater core replacement. remving the whole dash cant be too hard, just time consuming.

WarWraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY II Commodore S
I had the compressor replaced and the system regassed in my VY II late last year, but it's never seemed as cold, or to have anywhere near the pressure, as it used to have.

Took out the resistor and took a look... not sure this explains the lack of cooling, but it definitely explains the lack of pressure.

Attachments

• EPaxJOwUcAE-Akr.jpg
    EPaxJOwUcAE-Akr.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 420

Kilroy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Executive Wagon
Glad to have info like this to go on.
i used a Dremel style Tool to make the rectangular holes, and also removed the sensor to gain access to the evaporator. Using a spray bottle, dampened the furry type stuff that completely clogged the cores, and with a small wire brush, modified , bent up at an angle, scraped of as much muck as I could, then used the hose spray method to finish the cleaning. Holes were patched with some plastic cutouts, put in behind the hole opening and fixed in place with tabs screwed on.

Last edited:

Rodo68er

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU V6 UTE S PAC
Awesome mate. Thanks for trying this first and showing us what to do. My VU utility air flow is getting pretty tired and I believe I know why

Kilroy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Executive Wagon
Tip, a very hot Stanley knife blade will carve a rectangular hole in the plastic without going too deep and risking damage to the cores. Worked for me, and thanks for posting this thread.