Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VY] Cleaning VY air conditioning evaporator without removing dash

ULAMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ACCLAIM 3.8I 4 SP AUTO
Great post , you may be able to do this to other cars. you would think that holden would have a fillter that you remove and clean to stop all this junk and rubbish going there in the first place. I will do what you said to my vy when it blocks up.

cheekycowboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 sv8 vy 2005 vz sv6 crewman
bro, thank you, just got a quote for 2grand to replace it, goggle search, found this thread, problem fixed cost free
you good sir just saved me $2000

cheekycowboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 sv8 vy 2005 vz sv6 crewman
Great post , you may be able to do this to other cars. you would think that holden would have a fillter that you remove and clean to stop all this junk and rubbish going there in the first place. I will do what you said to my vy when it blocks up.

an that was on a vz as well, pretty much the same just not as much room

Vr5speedv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr exec 5.0L 5speed
bro, thank you, just got a quote for 2grand to replace it, goggle search, found this thread, problem fixed cost free
you good sir just saved me $2000

That's awesome mate! Glad to hear it worked for you, and saved alot of $$ :)

Cammed_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy s with heads and cam
Hey mate awesome write up! Just a question though i couldnt quite understand where the water will drain from and do you have to put the air con on whilst doing it? Cheers mate

Roota355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR UTE 5.0
I have actually done this to remove money from inside the heater box on a discovery 3. I used a rubber grommet the size of the hole i drilled out in case their kids decide to use their vents as a money box again and blocking the drain tubes

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Just to add to this post, I wanted to check mine, But had no hole saws.
I removed the blower fan, 3 screws and connector, and just stuck my phone inside and took a picture, Its a fair size of a hole and can get a spray hose and hand up inside, instead of cutting up the dash, this will give you more of the condenser to spray. Even one of those weed sprayers would work well i think. Mines not all that dirty thankfully.

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-19%20at%2011.41.44%20am.jpg

wayneVU

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Ute SC6
What solution did you guys spray it with to clean ?
Thanks

amg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
Been meaning to do this ever since I discovered this thread.

A couple of days ago the glovebox lid fell off as they eventually do on a VT so I thought why not go all the way and follow the instructions by the OP.

Instead of a drill I used an engraver with fitted with a grinding wheel to cut out a small hole in the soft case.

Although the evaporator looked fairly clean there was always this horrible smell that would be emitted whenever the A/C was switched off. So I sprayed the inside with regular bathroom mould killer and let it soak for a few minutes then I flushed it good with a garden hose spray gun.

While under there I also pulled out the fan and gave it a clean, even disassembled the fan motor and removed all this crud that was in it. Greased the lower bearing with some graphite grease too.

Now it's quieter, there's a slight increase in air flow, and no more smell when turning the A/C off.