Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CleaningThrottle Body VR V6

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
Cleaning Throttle Body VR V6

This service has been carried out on a VR V6 Series II. This will result in slightly better throttle response and a smoother acceleration. This is a much better option than just spraying TB cleaner into motor whilst running. Once seeing the carbon deposit after clearing, you will be glad you did not run this sludge though your engine. Allow engine to cool before you beginning this procedure.

First, remove hose clamps on the flexible hose between induct pipe and throttle body and remove.

Disconnect electrical connections to throttle body ( Idle Air Controller valve – back of TB and Throttle Position Sensor at the front) also disconnect the two vacuum hoses on the front side of the TB that lead back to the Evaporative Emissions Control Canister and the larger hose that goes to the manifold. Then remove the hose connected to the IAC.

Now before removing the TB you need to disconnect the accelerator cable from the lever ( Cruise Control cables aswell if applicable). Pull on the lever and thread the cable through and remove. Undo the two nuts the secure the TB to the Plenum. Remove Throttle Body and gasket.

Next step is to remove the Plenum that joins the TB and the inlet manifold. Detach the two smaller vacuum hoses and then disconnect the hose that reverts back to the brake booster. To remove the Plenum for cleaning you will need to detach the accelerator cable bracket. Undo the three bolts that attach to the Plenum and remove. Then undo the three studs that connect the Plenum to the manifold and remove.

Now that the Plenum is detached, you may want to remove the Bellmouth (black plastic mould, shaped like a bell ) as well for cleaning.

This is my Throttle Body before cleaning.

By removing the TB you can ensure that both sides of the butterfly are cleaned properly. This is the TB after using Throttle Body / Carby cleaner. Make sure you also clean inside the IAC and use compressed air to clear out the air jets if possible.

Now that everything is clean and ready to go, it’s time to put it all back together again. Replace the gaskets if needed. Reinstall all components in reverse to removal. Make sure that all electrical connections have been connected and that all hoses have been reattached.

Attachments

• Throttle Body 2.jpg
    Throttle Body 2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 6,385
  • Throttle Body 3.jpg
    Throttle Body 3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 3,688
  • Throttle Body 4.jpg
    Throttle Body 4.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 4,123
  • Throttle Body 5.jpg
    Throttle Body 5.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 4,145
  • Throttle Body 6.jpg
    Throttle Body 6.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 3,595
Last edited:
R

rattattack1313

throttle body cleaning

wow..thats cool as..but what do I clean all the black crap out with??Ihave Avgas here, or should I use some sort of de-greaser or something??? cheers mate....

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Use throttle body/carby cleaner. Save the avgas for the fuel tank will not be fun putting it thru the TB.
AirStrike :air:

P

Phantom

thats great, thanks for all the tips! how long do you recon it would take for someone who is doing it for the first time? what tools do you need?

ViperVp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
yer, mine probly needs doin.... i'll grab a file and bore it out too 95mm, :p haha

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
Only need a screwdriver for the hose clamp, 1/2" open-end/ring spanner for the TB and Plenum and a 10mm spanner for the accelerator bracket. Took me about a little over an hour to do on my first attempt, and that's with a few beers in between. :D Very easy to do, just need to take note of where the hoses go when disconnecting. Save ya a lot of time when putting it back together.

R

rattattack1313

tb..

I've been told that ordinary engine degreaser will lift the black crap out......gunna do it today, on VN_Dans throttle bodies... see how it goes..then I will probly do me Vee Pee....... :yeah: .....

R

rattattack1313

tb

yuppers.....did a great job... the old tooth brush effect and it looks like new... whack it in later....see how it goes..the one one the car (vn) sticks...then i might clean that one up......lol..

Nos_VQ

Hot Rod Metal Fabricator
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VH wagon, 54 Plymouth
carby cleaner will set you back around $10 or less. The gunk on the carby is identical to what you will find on a throttle body. Follow the manufacturers instructions and the job's right. It's worth the peace of mind to replace the gasket every time to avoid air leaks which can mess with your idle (No gasket goo required).

When you have 2 small hoses side by side, it's a good idea to mark one of them with something like liquid paper and also the part where it slides on. This way you will avoid putting hoses in the incorrect spots.

If your throttle body is still sticking after a good clean, chances are you could have a binding return spring. Dirt, dust etc can cause this so make sure you also clean the return spring area which is located under the black throttle actuator plate, sandwiched between the upper and lower plastic spring retainer cups. A little rp7 or wd40 in this area won't hurt, but remember I said a little....don't drown it.

Once the throttle body is back on, check to see how much slack you have in throttle cable. You don't want it tight to the point where it can start to open the butterfly. you should have a little sideways play of around a few millimeters. A slack cable can reduce pedal responce on take off. Adjustment is simple via 2 nut's on the cable housing at the throttle bracket.

Last edited:
P

Phantom

so how did it all go fellas? did it make that much of a difference