Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clear coat flaked and paint faded

Alexander Cummings

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Spots where clear coat is gone all around the car. And the paint has faded a little in those spots. How do I fix it? Tried to research online how to do it but every video has a different process. I’d also like to do it relatively cheap. I don’t have any clear photos of it but if you look on the right hand side of the bonnet you’ll see the clear coat spots and in the centre of the bonnet. I’m new to working on cars so don’t really have a clue, so explain in semi detail if you could. Thanks guys
IMG_3458.jpeg

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Hunt around wreckers for a color match if its just the bonnet or boot. Otherwise its big bucks for a pro spray...I once rattle canned a car took about 22 cans (they were on special $4.99 a can) and took 1 day prep and another spraying used grease to block out badges door handles lights etc... (actual pics) it made the car look much tidier ... if your feeling bold... it does take some sanding / paint skill...hand sanded ...no primer just straight on with the white enamel... sides are easier to paint than top...

Attachments

• before.JPG
    before.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 30
  • after.JPG
    after.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Nothing you can do but strip the panels and respray.

You can't even re-clear them once it's delaminated like that you have to strip the panel right back and start again with colour and clear.

No cheap fixes unfortunately. The best option is a closed door respray as if a couple of panels have started to do it the rest will soon too.

Alexander Cummings

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
If you want it done right then really the only solution is to sand it right back and repaint it from scratch I.e. sand all the way back, primer, spray in colour then clear coat on top you can just do the bonnet it doesn’t have to be the whole car
So I would have to do the entire panel? Is there a way to just sand back where the spot is or would that look uneven and bad.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
So I would have to do the entire panel? Is there a way to just sand back where the spot is or would that look uneven and bad.
Nope, like I said there is no quick fix, you can't even re-clear the whole panel let alone just that small spot, you need to start again.

The entire panel will have to be rubbed back and re coloured then cleared. Expect around $1000 to start with then $500+ for each additional panel you want done.

Anything you do other than fixing it properly will make it look worse than it already is.

This is very very common for 90's GM and Ford vehicles.

The "cheap" fix is to find panels second hand that are in better condition and swap them over.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Spots where clear coat is gone all around the car. And the paint has faded a little in those spots. How do I fix it? Tried to research online how to do it but every video has a different process. I’d also like to do it relatively cheap. I don’t have any clear photos of it but if you look on the right hand side of the bonnet you’ll see the clear coat spots and in the centre of the bonnet. I’m new to working on cars so don’t really have a clue, so explain in semi detail if you could. Thanks guys View attachment 268918
You know what? I would leave it, unless you've got plenty of money to have it done properly. There will be times in the not-so-distant future when you'll need all the money you've got to do mechanical and servicing repairs.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Just say it's patina and live with it

Full resprays are expensive and can be hard to justify the outlay

You could attempt it yourself, but results and costs will vary

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Ultimately yes respray, but you can try this diy if you have time on your side, can't be worse than what it currently is.

There are clear coat blender products available to help patch spots, but not recommended on full panels as you'll need to reclear most of it.