Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clear Coat (?) Flaking, paint imperfections

kicker12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hey guys, been on here a while, only starting to get back into semi regular posting over the last month or so since I've started to fix my car as i've had a lot of bad luck with it but things are now kind of starting to come together.
Something that's always bothered me about my car but haven't really bothered to do much about it till now is that i'm pretty sure on my passenger door clear coat has flaked away, leaving a dull looking color underneath and an ugly jagged edge from where it goes to the top coat, to no top coat. Here are some pictures
1032274.jpg

By kicker12s, shot with KODAK V610 DUAL LENS DIGITAL CAMERA at 2010-02-02
A second thing that has bothered me for a while are these horrible marks under the drivers door handle, theres a few tiny dents almost as if the previous owner was drunk and jammed the key a few times around there. There is also some clear coat issues there as well i believe.
1032276.jpg

By kicker12s, shot with KODAK V610 DUAL LENS DIGITAL CAMERA at 2010-02-02
I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how to fix either of these? I am fairly handy with paint and strapped for cash (due to repairs) but not sure if i can tackle this alone or should just leave it for a while until i can afford to get it done professionally.

My Car is 2005 VZ SV6

Cheers guys, any help or advice will be much appreciated :)

Last edited:

LRyder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Mine has faded like that aswell on the spoiler, the clear got bigger and biger, it went from a tiny patch the size of a 5c peice and has now spreaded to a 20cm x 10cm nasty fadded mark. So my advice would be fix it if possible asap.

If it is just one the one door it wouldnt be too expensive to fix professionally, compaired to if it was accross a few pannels.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Clean them up (prepsol or isopropyl alcohol), fill them with touch up paint, smooth over with 2000grit+, then polish.