Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clear coat peeling

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Hey all, I have a rather annoying issue with the clear coat in two areas. Every time the car gets wet, more and more is becoming unstuck! Which then dries white and have no other option than to peel it off.

I dont have the cash to respray those affected areas, but what can I do to stop more water getting under? I know you can get clear coat in a can but I dont want it looking more dodgy than it already is, or would a few light coats over the peeled patches be ok? I had another idea of waxing over the areas?

Any input would be great. The rest of the car is fine. Its only the boot lid and a small area on the roof. :(

IMG_1641Small.jpg

IMG_1642Small.jpg

skruba

holden, honda, pitbulls
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
i dont no tho it is realy common in silver and maroon vn/vps mine is shockin in need of a full respray

MR 1JZ

Classy not sassy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
there is no quick fix for that...it will have to be sanded and repainted...you can try cutting it back with a compound but I dont think you are going to have much luck honestly...ive seen it before and a respray was the only real fix

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
As stated in similar threads in the past, the girls Magna is doing it. Once it started it took off like wildfire. Respray is the only option. There really isn't a quick fix I'm afraid.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Damn :(. I just thought I could seal the edges with something to avoid more water entering, because thats whats making it worse. Of course it wont look the same but its bearable at the moment lol

Is it possible to sand back and paint certain areas without doing the whole lot? I might be able to work something out with a mates dad who casually works as a pannel beater and has access to a spray booth, but the less painting the better.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
i dont no tho it is realy common in silver and maroon vn/vps mine is shockin in need of a full respray

The colour of the car has absolutely NOTHING to do with clear coat failure, and as some people believe it is not because Holden or any other car manufacturer uses poor quality paint. I has everything to do with how the paint has been looked after. If the paint is regularly waxed/sealed then clear coat will easily last the life of the car. Imagine if you were out in the hot sun everyday and your skin started to peal. Would you still wonder why?

Bottom line is there is nothing you can do to stop it pealing more and more. But you have nothing to lose by trying to respray it yourself. Practice with the boot lid. Sand the top of the boot lid back to metal and apply a primer. Then with a can of paint matched to your cars original colour, apply a couple of coats. Wet sand with 2000 grit wet and dry. Buff to a good shine. Then apply a 5 or 5 coats of clear and wet sand with 1500 grit, then 2000 grit and finish with 2500 grit. Buff out sanding mark to a high gloss and your done. Easier said than done but thats the basic process.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
The colour of the car has absolutely NOTHING to do with clear coat failure, and as some people believe it is not because Holden or any other car manufacturer uses poor quality paint. I has everything to do with how the paint has been looked after. If the paint is regularly waxed/sealed then clear coat will easily last the life of the car. Imagine if you were out in the hot sun everyday and your skin started to peal. Would you still wonder why?

Bottom line is there is nothing you can do to stop it pealing more and more. But you have nothing to lose by trying to respray it yourself. Practice with the boot lid. Sand the top of the boot lid back to metal and apply a primer. Then with a can of paint matched to your cars original colour, apply a couple of coats. Wet sand with 2000 grit wet and dry. Buff to a good shine. Then apply a 5 or 5 coats of clear and wet sand with 1500 grit, then 2000 grit and finish with 2500 grit. Buff out sanding mark to a high gloss and your done. Easier said than done but thats the basic process.

Good advice.

skruba

holden, honda, pitbulls
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
i never said the colour was his problem matey just that very common to see silver and maroon vn/vps with clearcoat coming off i think thats pretty close to my xact words, if u no a panel beater it wont need full respray just fixed in areas where its coming off.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
i never said the colour was his problem matey just that very common to see silver and maroon vn/vps with clearcoat coming off i think thats pretty close to my xact words, if u no a panel beater it wont need full respray just fixed in areas where its coming off.

ive asked about that man and the panel beaters told me only option is too respray the panel, they cant just fix the one small area

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Cheers for the replies. Scooter that is good advice. But just to be clear, by "top of the boot lid" do you mean the whole top side or just the top area where its peeling? Not sure if I want to do the roof if it means sanding the whole thing back :p