Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clear coat respray

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
anyone know the average price of respraying a panel in clear? the C pillar of mine has some clear coat peel and its started to get a little worse, so i would like to do something about it. im not sure if respraying that section means respraying the entire roof too though

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I think yours needs more than just clear. The paint underneath has oxidised and lost the metallic finish it once had.

Depending on how seamless you want the paint to look, you may have to get the whole lot done :(

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
it still look metallic. the paint itself seems fine to me. its just a couple of clear coat peels on the C pillar im worried about. a few spots about the size of a 5c piece

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
had the mrs' magna in to a couple of places for the same problem and they all said the same thing - can't (or won't) just do the clear coat they suggest some pretty serious work to get it back.

Painful but might be time for a respray. I'm more than happy for someone to tell me i cando the opposite though, wouldn't mind giving the magna its shine back.

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
if your going to do somthing may as well do it properly it will pay off in the long run get a full respray and save the later drama

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
gotta add - not nice - but the magna started off with a few tiny spots and became pretty much right up the guts in unrelated areas. I think if it's going in some places it'll be ready to go in many more places.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
I managed to rescue mine, it was on a Moroccan sand coloured VS (that goldy/bronze colour).

It got so bad that the clear coat used to come off in sheets when it was at the car wash. Had a cash job done where they feathered off the clear without removing the windscreens and resprayed the roof and pillars and also the boot lid. $500 cash from memory. Paint fade was minimal so it came out looking pretty good.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Just from experience with my VP within 2 years of 5 cent sized holes in clear you will have pretty much no clear left on the car :p

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Remember Hozy's car? Need I say more.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
i wouldnt bother mate i recently asked a panel beater that i know about it and for my VR he said he could do it but 6-8 months itd start ****ing up around the edges not worth the money or time you would probably have to respray the roof if you wanted a long term solution