Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clear on acrylic lacquer

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Technically 2k clear over acrylic base will delaminate after a year or so, they are completely different chemical make ups.

2k sets hard as rock, acrylic never fully cures, hence 2k's durability over Acrylic clear.

Use the Duplicolour clear over that duplicolor base, thats how I did my wheels, 5 years on still strong.

I've heard of some people having success stories of 2k clear over acrylic but I've also seen some horrors of the aftermath after a couple of years.

Last edited:

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Factually , 2k clear won't even stay stuck to 2k base coat after 10 years or even less from what I have seen of late model cars.
At least Acrylic clear didn't peel off acrylic top coats.

H

harrop.senator

Factually , 2k clear won't even stay stuck to 2k base coat after 10 years or even less from what I have seen of late model cars.

They're robotically painted for the least amount of material possible. That's why you've gotta be super careful trying to remove the orange peel from a new car. I think that's more the issue then 2k itself.

Industry standard is like 60-110 micron or so and that includes primer , base and clear.

But in saying that the industrial urethane clear I mainly use. Does only have a ten year sun fade guarantee. That's an Australian sun fade guarantee for machinery that's constantly in the UV though.

Running a micron gun on a new car before heavy polishing is a must and the reading can definitely disgust you on 90% of them haha.

Two pack paints have been industry leading since the mid 80's.

My Pontiac was resprayed 21 years ago in a shed by the previous owner in 2k with Gold pearl through it. Some of the rust is bubbling back up but no clear coat peel anywhere LOL

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Dad had our XD Falcon resprayed in 2K back in 87. Still looked good when I saw the car around 2008.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Some manufacturers seem to be a lot worse than others. Mitsubishi comes to mind who are lucky to last ten years without the clear coat peeling off especially with dark colours. Holdens always seemed to be quite good and don’t peel anywhere near as much or as quickly.

skippy73

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.0 ltr
I've 2k cleared over acrylic base coat many times so have many others.

In theory the reason you can't is because 2k is completely sealing and hardening.

Lacquer is a gassing out product. If the lacquer had gassed out most urethane clears can easily go over it.

Give my mate Tony a ring tomorrow he's in canning Vale.

View attachment 230146He makes the 2k cans and their is definitely 2k that even the fact sheet says is safe to go over lacquer. Some of them require an adhesion promoted between the acrylic and the urethane. There are products out there that definitely fine doing it.
2K clear will Peel an delaminate from a chip

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
2K clear will Peel an delaminate from a chip
Yep, this has happened to me. One smal patch of damage has resulted in massive loss of clear.

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
"Holdens always seemed to be quite good and don’t peel anywhere near as much or as quickly"
lol...Ive seen plenty of clearcoat peel on Holdens but agree that 10 years is about it for many Holden paint jobs unless you are using a garage . Mine got clearcoat peel on bonnet and boot lid the guards,roof and doors seemed to have escaped the dreaded clearcoat peel for now....Im not sure the 2k coating system has better longevity ....it certainly has a superior shine but when it comes to touch ups you have to redo the whole panel... Hate too say it but I think an enamel coat is probably easier to maintain slash touch up...with costs going thru the roof these days I couldnt justify spending thousands getting the affected panels resprayed and color matched, for as we know the paint code doesnt mean a perfect match if you have other panels that are good but time weathered. Im picking a total respray of the entire car would set me near 7 grand in a hole (I could buy another Holden instead..lol)...the only viable option I see is to find a bonnet and boot from a wrecker in the same color code without scratches which is a big ask (no scratches)...Ive been forced into the rogue street machine group because I see no logic in respraying a 21 year old car where cost would exceed any return (Im a number cruncher at heart) Id rather spend the money having a few laughs and a cold beer...lol....Anyways decided to get creative and tackle the bonnet with some black zinc galv /acrylic clear because I got tired of looking at clearcoat peel...Brings back memories of the HX-HZ Monaro.... $40 dollar paint job ...if I find a bonnet that matches at the wreckers and is mint I might swap it out ...If the price is right...lol...ps Do you think I should tape some pinstripes on it...it being a V8 and all....lol
bonnet.jpg

Last edited: