Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clicking noise, Cross drilled and slotted rotors ??

Loki

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VY
Hey guys ... i just installed cross drilled and slotted rotors on my VY ... did the fronts last week. Now I've just done the rears and I'm getting a clicking noise under braking and some under normal driving ... sounds like when you put a playing card in your spokes kinda noise.

Now I've tried to do some research online and i think I have found the problem ... but you guys are much more knowledgeable then me ... I have read that this is "normal" and that it is just the pads running over the drilled holes

the front brakes were silent but the pads on the front were tapered up towards the end ... but the rears were flat pads meaning the very edge of the pads are nicking the dilled holes .... and it was suggested to me to not worry about the noise and that if i was really keen and wanted it gone i should sand the back pads to a taper like the fronts
GqnfT0X.jpg

Does this sound correct or have I done something wrong here ??

Loki

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VY
they were fairly clean compared to the fronts and the fronts were completely silent ... but no i didn't do any extra cleaning

Loki

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VY
just pulled everything off double checked everything and cleaned the hubs and put it all back on ... still getting the clicking noise ?

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
no there should not be any extra noise because they are slotted and cross drilled. The chamfer on the pads is not required.
Post a video so we can hear how bad it is.

Shahnu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VQ Series ll Statesman
When I was on the tools, I'd get that a LOT. If it's the noise I'm thinking of, take the rear rotors off, check your handbrake shoes. If they're not properly clipped in (can get tricky) one side of the shoe will catch against the inside of the rotor. This would happen at low speeds, give it a go. (yes, applying the brakes won't affect the handbrake but the noise occurs at low speeds) the reason this happens, is when the rotor is removed the handbrake shoe needs to pass through the lip that it's worn into. By pulling on the rotor (rather than backing the handbrake off) your pulling on the shoe (get a spring type pulling effect) and off the shoe goes unclipping itself with the rotor or at least it'll come away partially. To remove the shoe, press innards and slide upwards until you see the clips it sits in. Bend the clips towards backing plate so they're nice and tight, then slide the shoe back in. Check it out