Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clicking steering rack - VX

woody11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack
Hey people,

i've noticed my steering rack clicks when i move the steering wheel quickly back and forth..

ive had an annoying clunk in my front end when going around turns, just wondering if the steering rack can make noises like that? it also makes a bit of a clunk going over speed humps.. Does the rack move when going over bumps? i guess the tie rods would move a little.. the bushes are all in good condition and the rack is secure..

Just getting very sick of this clunking..

I've recently replaced the caster rod bushes (front and back), sway bar links, D bushes, and engine mounts, all needed done but weren't the cause of the clunk..

Thanks guys..

woody11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack
Well i've sorted the problem, was the inner tie rods (rack ends) which were worn and had movment where they screw into the rack, it also caused my tires to wear on the outside edges..Rack is still good though :) thanks for your help guys, couldn't have done it without you!!! lol

will need an alignment when i'm done the work..Gonna change the rack boots and tie rod ends while i'm at it..
Anyone know where i can get the best price for an alignment in the north of Adelaide, I know Pedders charge $66 and Bridgstone Tyres will do it for about $55 i think..