Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Climate Control Fan Blower whine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I had a similar problem on my old vz I removed the fan motor disassembled it and applied machine oil on all moving parts

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Sam_100, the VF workshop manual describes Blower Motor Replacement on page 7547 of 11631.

It references Instrument Panel Outer Trim Cover Replacement (page 599) and Floor Front Air Outlet Duct Replacement - Left Side (page 7554) as well as Instrument Panel Compartment Door Opening Frame Replacement (page 600).

Sadly the way the document is written requires the hyperlinks to work but such hasn’t been preserved within the PDF. That means you need to learn how the document is structured so as to navigate the sections manually. Unfortunately you can’t simply click on the blue referenced text.

As mentioned, use the bookmark/index which is usually on the left pane of the PDF viewing application as that makes manual navigation possible.

As is, it definitely doesn’t look like a dash out job so I would be rather sceptical of that dealer and their skill as I’d expect they should be able to quote accurately.

If you do try and pull the fan yourself, it may simply need the bearings cleaned, oiled or greased...

Spending a cold Sunday learning the workshop manuals sectional structure would definitely be helpful as time goes by. Much easier to do if you are under quarantine or even lockdown (if you are indeed in parts of NSW or VIC).

Good luck with it.

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll probably buy a replacement blower rather than trying to clean up the old one because If I have to pull out the dash I want to do it only once. Also, I had the blower in my VB Commodore go and went through a couple of second hand ones before I got a good one. Tried to fix the Replacing the blower then was easy because it was mounted in the engine bay against firewall.

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
Okay, yet to replace the fan. When it starts to whine I turn it up to the highest speed for about 10 min. This seems to stop it whining for a couple of weeks before it comes back. Rinse and repeat at the moment until the whine becomes permanent. Taking this approach at the moment as the local dealer quoted me $325 for a new fan.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Congratulations.. Your car has been fitted with a supercharger. Enjoy killing your tyres!