Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Climate control heater/aircon blower motor - Correct input voltages?

BerlinaBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VR Berlina - Stock standard
The blower motor on my '94 VR Berlina progressively got slower over a few months, started working only on high, then only intermitently on high, and then not at all. Aircon works well, so its a real pain having no blower in the middle of a Qld summer.

I think I have tracked the issue down to the blower motor itself. After stuffing around for ages reading about resistors/amplifers in the CC circuit, I spent 10 mins to take the glove box and kick panel out to measure the voltages at the motor power plug - they are about 5, 8 and 12-14V on low, medium and high settings. On automatic, with ambient temp at 31 deg the voltage is a solid 10V.

These voltages sound sensible to me for a '12V' blower motor, meaning the motor has some issue, like worn brushes, excess dust on the windings or something.

Any opinions before I spend hours trying to get the damn thing out? Please! Any suggestions for replacement/repair of the motor given I doubt I will want to be doing again soon?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Disconnect the input and try feeding 12V straight into it. This will rule out any other problems.

BerlinaBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks - not surprisingly (given the input plug has 12-14V) it failed that test. I had been wondering if the amplifier refered to in so many earlier posts results in an input voltage of more than 12V.

Suggestions for replacement/repair of the motor? I have only seen one post suggesting repair may not be so hard, which is this one here. Anyone else had experience with it?

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
theres some info below good luck
Thanks - not surprisingly (given the input plug has 12-14V) it failed that test. I had been wondering if the amplifier refered to in so many earlier posts results in an input voltage of more than 12V.

Suggestions for replacement/repair of the motor? I have only seen one post suggesting repair may not be so hard, which is this one here. Anyone else had experience with it?
1. remove grey surround from around the stereo and then the light grey surround.
2. remove the glove box (hint there is a black dowl on the right side that slides out)
3. remove the top lining remove the screws from just under the dash lining at the bottom corners and the grey cover on the side where the joint for the air vent is.
4. remove the air tube that goes along the top of the dash to the rear of the car, by removing the screws on the side near the door, and there is one screw where it joins to the main air system, and I think there is one in the middle somwhere.
5. undo the two screw bolts on up under the dash and the other under the blower itself.
6. remove the cream hatch, there is a dowl holding it in as well wich is connected to one of the phumatic pusher thing, there are a bunch of screws they might look a little rusty, the three on the botom and there are three at the top in the hatch thing i think, also there are 2 screws on either side where the black plastic stops on the side hard to explain I should of taken photos, sorry.
7. remove the metal cover, covering the blower fins, should slide out, might need some persuasion, if still no good, check everywhere for that one that got away.
8. remove the fins from the motor, should be straight forward to remove that.
9. you should be able to see the three screws that come in from the back that hold the motor in place. you wont be able remove all three but the good news is that its held in by gromets.
10. remove the bottom bolt, i belive its a 10mm socket, then remove the other, this one is a little harder to remove but it is doable.
11. this should be it, slide it out the back and thats it, put it back in oppisite direction.

BerlinaBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks justbad4you, looks like that's from the post I linked to in my second post to this thread, but your assistance is much appreciated.

I'll sort something out about a motor then give it a shot. A Berlina without aircon is like unpolished silver *sigh*.