Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Climate Control Issue

Trogen86

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 ve berlina v6
VE 06 Berlina

I have the same problem with my 06 Berlina. Its the second summer with this car and it only when the cabin
is 35 degrees. Turning it off then on immediately does nothing but turning it off for about 30 seconds does the job eventually.
It happens within a minutes or so of first getting into the car, so nothing is freezing up.

On a few occaisions i have waited to see if it turns back on automatically but nothing happened.
Its not a dramatic problem, more annoying than anything.

Im looking forward to find out the answer.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Does anyone else notice that if the car is parked in the sun on a hot day the air con / audio screen is faint or black when you start up the car ?

Banicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais '07
You could take it back to them and tell them you are still experiencing the issue. As with most troubleshooting, if you can't pinpoint the issue you just got to replace every related bit until it's fixed :( Either that, or test your shouting skills at the manager of the repair joint to get a senior to investigate, and not a scrub apprentice.

Calvin8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I have a VE Berlina that has done the same thing on a couple of occasions, always after it has been sitting out in the sun. I suspect it is a thermister in the fan motor, as once the motor cools down it runs fine again.

Speed16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
The saga continues. However they have perfomed another software update this time updating everthing... apparently. The problem still exists with a hot cabin as the fan still cuts outs however I on a slightly different note I got good new and bad news. Bad news is if you have a VE from within the first couple years and you decide to get a software update done, there will be a problem where you got a "Check Engine" warning. This is because your car has a VIM (Variable Intake Manifold) amplifier installed which will need to be removed and replaced with a plug. Holden will charge $69 for the plug and an hours labour even though the Holden techline says its less.

On the plus side the software update gives your AUTO fan selector more options. Previously the AC was OFF - AUTO - 0, 1, 2, 3, etc up to 20. Now you have OFF - AUTO - AUTO Low, AUTO Med, AUTO High - 0, 1, 2, 3, etc up to 20. Therefore if it is set to AUTO Low you will never get a hurricane inside the car but it will chill the air more to achieve the same result. Works well, though I think this idea has been borrowed from other car makers as BMW have had it for years. But still nice to get something extra.

Supe

Supe
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
As with most air conditioning, it freezes up less if the fan speed (airflow) is kept high as the warm air running through the system helps a little to not let ice form in the first place.

Speed16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Supe, I don't think this is the issue as when travelling at highway speed and on fresh and not re-circulate you will feel icy cold air coming through the vents. This means that the air conditioning system is actually still functioning however the fan has just stopped.

TO EVERYONE OUT THERE WITH A VE THAT HAS CLIMATE CONTROL.
I have a little experiment for you.
The next time you get in your car and the cabin is really hot please do the following.
Keep all 4 windows up.
Turn air-con between 19 and 21 degrees.
Use re-circulate air.
Leave fan speed at AUTO.
Wait about 5 to 10 minutes to see if the fan cuts out.
Post back your results if you too experienced the same fan cutting out issue.