Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Climate Control Vacuum Probs VY Calais

Degeko

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Calais 5.0L, MY12 VE SV6
no i dont think it is normal, its bloody annoying on a hot day, does yours have climate control or manual air con, didnt think climate control came out in the vy SS

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
yep came with climate control mightve been an extra cant remember, but if you find someone at holden telling you it is not normal post it up cause it annoys me aswell

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Where under the dash is the vacuum actuator located and what does it look like?

VT97CALAIS

VT-Best Holden shape!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 S1 VT Calais /A4
hey guys my vt calais 97 model does the same thing and its really damn annoying! can someone post some pics of where this vaccuum actuator unit is located!?

vyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6
VY Actuator leak

I had the issues mentioned on My 02 VY and finally fixed it yesterday. The actuators that control the air ducts look like white plungers with the coloured vacuum lines connected to them. I accessed mine by firstly removing the dash panel below the steering column (clips) and then removing the 3 screws that hold the centre console side panel. The actuators are then visible within the centre console roughly under the radio. I had the engine running and heard the hissing sound from the faulty actuator. Removing the actuators are difficult but the one closest to the drivers side can be removed using a short phillips screw driver. Remove the front actuator screw and pull the actuator away towards you. The second screw will remain in the air box housing because the rear actuator mounting hole is a slot. If its leaking you can either buy a new actuator or repair it. I fixed mine by pulling it apart and patching the small hole that had formed in one of the diaghrams with some silicone sealant. Put it all together and it works great. Accelerated with aircon on and it didn't divert to the windscreen. If you find the other actuator is the problem i'm not sure how you'll go getting it out as I haven't tried it. Best of luck ! :thumbsup:

boazw

Reaction score
Thanks vyer,

Out of all the info that is available on this issue in the forum I found yours the most useful. Just fixed my 05 VZ and replaced the driver side one. Although removal is a bit tricky it wasn't too bad at all, I bought an offset screw bit set (came with its own flat ratchet), this really made the job quick and easy, I am sure I could easily reach the screw on the other actuator if needed. $65 for part and 20mins for installation is all it took.
Cheers!

H Bomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais
Mines the same, havent got around to changing the valves and stuff either, Ive learnt to live with it too but I will eventually get onto it.
But the local Holden dealer told me it was a normal design issue to help stop power drop or something where as my mechanic said thats incorrect and they just can't be bothered fixing it, apparantly Holden are well aware of the issue.

Xpert1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ /sv6
Have just had the same issue in manual control heater - a/c system with the vacuum defaulting to the screen when climbing a hill. Would like to thank those who contributed to resolving the issue, and like to share what was the exact cause in the hope it may save someone else the trouble. I was able to detect the demister vacuum actuator being faulty and causing the vacuum leak "under load" Fault was also slightly evident when mode was on face/floor and floor modes as well. There was a slight amount of air at the demister as well. After dropping down drivers side cover under steering wheel, then removing RHS console cover held by 2 Phillips head screws at front, then popping the clip at rear, the panel comes out and shows 2 actuators (both 2 stage actuators & are identical part) 1 controls demister and floor and other controls face modes. The demister actuator with the Pink and Orange vacuum lines attached was found to be faulty. To test this in place, when face/floor was selected the rear Pink line applies vacuum & pulls the actuator arm in 1/2 way, and orange line applies vacuum to the second stage and pulls in the actuator arm fully. If the actuator diaphragm is leaking this second stage will not happen and a small amount of air will go to the screen demister, which also will be the case when the engine is put under load, as the vacuum reservoir has all leaked & engine is too busy supplying its own needs when more power is called for from the motor. As mentioned in one of the posts, remove the front securing screw and unclip the actuator arm from the duct lever, pulling gently towards you will release the back securing point, remove the actuator and complete the test by sucking on the rear nipple(Pink), the actuator arm should start to pull in & hold, if okay then do same on side (orange) line and should also want to pull in. If any one of these doesn't pull in it means the diaphragm is ruptured and actuator is RS - Replace unit to rectify fault. Refit and replace covers and screws.
Hope this helps others as much as it did me - the part that is pictured in one of the posts is the correct part
Holden part # 92140681 cost approx $70AUD