Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Climate Control Vacuum Probs VY Calais

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
Hi guys. (VY S/Charged V6 Calais 2002) :my:

When Accelerating Heavily the vent system seems to fade away from the face vents to screen. It then comes back when you back off the Pedal.
Also when on Recirculate, under acceleration it seems to bring in exhaust smells from cars infront, just like if it was taking outside air.

As well as this, the system is sometimes very slow to react when changing from Face to Floor and to Screen etc. Sometimes it does not change at all.

Have check for vacuum leaks at the engine. All seems fine. Have Cut the Vaccuum pipe and reconnected at inlet. Seems OK. Have also checked under the glove box at the vacuum solinoid block to make sure all connections are in and secure, and they are. Also have checked the Vacuum Accumulator Cannister and all is OK there as well.

This has got me stumped. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix the prob.

Cheers.
:my:

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
I was under the impression that Climate Control didn't utilise vacuem hoses. I know the manual dials do, but climate control is completly electrical... :unsure:

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
vy_acclaim said:
I was under the impression that Climate Control didn't utilise vacuem hoses. I know the manual dials do, but climate control is completly electrical... :unsure:

They certainly do use vacuum hose, its just you have to push a button for each selection, unlike the non climate when you phsically turn the dial.
To diagnose yourself, you will need a vaccuum pump. Under front passenger dash panel there is a vaccuum solenoid pack. Disconect and apply vaccum to each one. There is black hoses and different colours. The different colours hoses go to different acuators,ie face/demist. makes it easier to trace, which line goes where. The coloured lines you need to apply the vaccum and it should hold. If not the actuator or line has a leak. You then go to the solenoid that was not holding vaccum and test it directly. The black hoses, one goes to the vaccum tank-up under the left hand side of the glovebox, the other black hose is the input from the motor. Dont forget to check these.
Some of the actuators are a bitch to get to. If all seem to hold vaccum, could be a fault with the vaccum solenoid pack, If so this comes as a complete assembly to buy, comes with all the lines.
Dont forget to check the little valve thats in the engine bay right at the back of the engine against the firewall, its in the black line where the 2 black lines join together,
If you find a problem with a acuator not holding vaccum, lmk the details of the car and i can tell you which colour lines go to which acuator.
Ken

Degeko

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Calais 5.0L, MY12 VE SV6
yeah ive got a 02 berlina and mine does the same thing, ive just learnt to live with it

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
98 berlina same ****

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
have a good look at the one way check valve just near the inlet manifold

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
My one way valve is good. Vaccuum is fine outside the firewall so something inside. I'm thinking that switchblock (or solenoid pack)

Degeko

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Calais 5.0L, MY12 VE SV6
yeah its really getting to me now, ive checked everything under bonnet and all is good, maybe its time to pull the dash apart and have a good look

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
The thing where the air fades from the facial vents to the windscreen ones is normal when under load as the vacuum thing does get enough suction and as the windscreen vents are the default setting it flicks to them.
Mine only does it when accelerating hard up steep inclines.
I have had my VY series 2 SS since new and it has always done it.
Holden told me it was normal if anyone has has a different opinion to theres please let me know.

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
I actually had the same problem as you are having.
Ended up being a leaking Vacuum Actuator under the dash. The ones that controll the vents. (They are like a plunger). One of them was leaking. Had to really have a good listen while the engine was running. I could hear a slight hissing sound coming from one of the Vaccuum Actuators. I disconnected the Vaccuum hose from it and blocked the hose with my finger. The noise was gone and the system seemed to be fine. I rang holden to see how much one of them is. $90 they want for 1. What a
&%^&@* Rippoff. I ended leaving the leaking actuator in and blocking off the vaccuum hose. System seems to work fine. I suppose it all depends on which one it is.
(Mine was the Foot/Screen one).

Hope this helps