Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Close Call

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Nearly had a car accident early this morning. Didn't see another at the roundabout, missed it by a hair. The "A" pillar was blocking my view, the dark tinted window and weather shield didn't help. Talked to 2 of my sub contractors, they also drive a Holden ute and they all have similar experiences. I blame it on the HUD, I used to sit leaning against the driver side window and able to see cars coming from the right side clearly, now with HUD, I have to sit up straight and hard to see what's behind the "A" pillar...From now on, I shall look twice before going through a roundabout.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
Drove a VE for 7 years and now the VF and I honestly can't recall ever having a single issue with the A pillar.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Nearly had a car accident early this morning. Didn't see another at the roundabout, missed it by a hair. The "A" pillar was blocking my view, the dark tinted window and weather shield didn't help. Talked to 2 of my sub contractors, they also drive a Holden ute and they all have similar experiences. I blame it on the HUD, I used to sit leaning against the driver side window and able to see cars coming from the right side clearly, now with HUD, I have to sit up straight and hard to see what's behind the "A" pillar...From now on, I shall look twice before going through a roundabout.

If the HUD is such an issue for you, turn it off.
I have had several near misses with the thick A pillars in my VE and VF commodores, my solution is to head check side to side.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I have HUD. Can't say that has changed my viewing perspective? But you do need to look around the pillar at roundabouts especially.
Good to hear you missed!

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
If the HUD is such an issue for you, turn it off.
I have had several near misses with the thick A pillars in my VE and VF commodores, my solution is to head check side to side.
Spot on.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
No need to turn the HUD off, just have to get use to it and make sure to look twice at the roundabout. After all, I only have been driving a Commodore for less than 2 years. Hard for an old dog to learn new tricks.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Maybe if you didnt drive like a fuckwit you wouldnt have these issues?

And as for the excuses, a bad tradesman always blames his tools.

But managed to have fun going through roundabouts at 70+km/hr. The ute stayed flat, pulled away cleanly halfway through without any squeals from the tyres.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I've had a few moments where I had to look twice in the VE. Nearly had a big accident on the Calder turning into the Kyneton exit from Bendigo as I didn't see a car coming because of the pillar on the passenger side but I stopped at the intersection and then thought **** a car was coming. The VF Calais has cream pillar covers which I think makes a difference but still a pain in the arse. You just have to be careful. Sitting right back in he seat doesn't help.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe if you didnt drive like a fuckwit you wouldnt have these issues?

And as for the excuses, a bad tradesman always blames his tools.
Black Sabbath?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I've been hearing for years how thick and obstructing the A-pillars in VE/VF commodores supposedly are. Without suggesting that they're not an issue for some people, I can quite honestly say I've never had a single problem with them. I've driven both models at work and at home and I've never personally had an issue..to the point where I've tried many times to see how people could have their vision obstructed by them and nothing..?

If you drive with your head still and don't move it to look at what may be coming then possibly they may be an issue, but surely no one would do that.......................