Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Close Call

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I've not seen someone on a bicycle before at a round about but it was due to their speed and the fact they ride the left shoulder of the lane which was blocked by the A pillar. It was a near miss with them pulling short of hitting me from the side and probably going over the bonnet.
The bloke wasn't too happy about it but when I got out of my car and stood a head taller than him he suddenly became more reasonable.

Dynamic Dazz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Wagon
At roundabouts I always move head side to side when checking to the right......Those that reckon somehow they look through the A pillar like superman are just lucky.......a couple of years ago driving through a roundabout another VE slammed in to my left front.....I have the video still if anyone wants to see it......anyways he claimed he didnt see me and I called bullshit.....anyways a few months later at the very same round about some how I missed a car on my right that must have been travelling the same speed towards the roundabout from my right so it was always hidden behind my A pillar.....If it wasn't for his quick reactions he would have hit me and it would have been my fault.....It shocked me and later that day we and a mate tried it and for sure it can happen......also one thing I may do wrong, I'm human afterall is I will glance to the right but always check anything from coming the left so not completely focused on the right like some do.....An issue from been a motorcycle rider, TRY to never assume everyone will give way.......
My 2cents plus maybe another 50c

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
I've been driving European and Australian cars for over 50 years and never had a problem with poor side visibility due to thick windscreen pillars until I got my VF. Even the VZ I had before the VF didn't seem so bad. I'm of average height and have reasonable neck flexibility for my age. The problem is particularly bad when travelling round a right-hand bend on narrow roads (of which we have quite a few in the Adelaide Hills). I have to make a conscious effort to bend forward and look around the pillar to spot any oncoming vehicles. The thickness of the A-pillar is definitely an unsafe design from a visibility point of view (pun not intended), but on the other hand I'd hope the pillars would not collapse in the event of a roll-over or head-on smash. Which probably couldn't be said for the Triumph Vitesse I owned in the 1960s, which had the slimmest pillars with unsurpassed all-round visibility, but looked as though they'd crumple up like tissue paper in an accident.

The problem is not restricted to the VF; many other modern vehicles have thick A-pillars to meet ANCAP crash protection requirements but the ones on the VF seem particularly bad. So long as we're aware of it and drive accordingly we should be alright -- it's all the other lunatics on the road that we have to watch out for!

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Can't comment on the VF, but I've got to agree with the A pillar being a bit of an obstruction in the VE.
I almost had an accident leaving an intersection in my bosses VE a couple of years ago the first time I drove it.
I had been sitting stationary at a T intersection and went to take off turning right and almost hit a small car coming from my left.
It was a bit of a shock to the system because I just didn't see that car at all.

I think that this might possibly be due to peoples seating position too.
We are all a different height, weight and build after all and we no doubt have our own comfortable seating positions.

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
I had a near miss in an almost exact circumstance... I was at a T intersection shortly after buying a brand new VE and a whole car was hidden by the A pillar. It was an eye opener. Ever since I've been careful to look around the pillar.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Just to hammer home the point, I see in today's paper that the wife of the Premier of South Australia was involved in a 2-car collision at an intersection in Adelaide. She was driving what looks to be a VF Calais, and the other driver a Toyota Camry. Injuries were minor.
Whilst the circumstances are unclear, the Calais has damage on the front right, and the Camry on the front left. So it would appear the Premier's wife didn't see a car coming from her right...............

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The VE Pillars are shocking and I'd say the VF are exactly the same. I've just got used to the fact that semi trailers can hide behind them so I always double check before pulling out.
They are very strong pillars though, if you ever roll a VE you'll be thankful.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I'm a short arse and can occasionally lose sight of an oncoming vehicle behind the 'A' Pillar but since the introduction of the VE I've learnt to do the head shuffle similar to what Dynamic Dazz suggested and the problem is alleviated.

It's basic commonsense for those who suffer the problem.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
They are very strong pillars though, if you ever roll a VE you'll be thankful.

They sure are strong. I've seen some VE's involved in severe collisions and the pillars haven't even moved.
I actually feel unsafe now getting into a pre VE or any other car with wafer thin pillars.

These photos speak for themselves and are a good indicator of the strength and superiority of the VE/VF structure over older models.
These are both standard Ancap offset tests conducted at 64km/h.
12crash2_m_m.jpg

large.jpg

Last edited:

Dynamic Dazz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Wagon
They sure are strong. I've seen some VE's involved in severe collisions and the pillars haven't even moved.
I actually feel unsafe now getting into a pre VE or any other car with wafer thin pillars.

These photos speak for themselves and are a good indicator of the strength and superiority of the VE/VF structure over older models.
These are both standard Ancap offset tests conducted at 64km/h.
View attachment 190737
View attachment 190738

Wow thats an amazing difference