Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Close Call

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
It can be life or death.
I agree woth ZeroT, I feel unsafe in some cars with narrow pillars. I like knowing all the design strength of my car is there.

Hey Panhead - I'm not that tall, but at 5'11" I have to head check. I don't think height removes the blindspot.

I've lost count of the number of pedestrians on pedex crossings, motorbikes or cars on roundabouts I could not see until my head check. Completely obscured. Despite me looking directly in their direction. When you're moving it's worse because the other car or whatever can stay in the blind spot until the point of impact.

For those who think there's no blind spot caused by the A pillars:
Sit in your driving posi. Look at the right pillar. Make a reference point along your line of sight, past the left edge of the pillar, say a post or tree etc. Without moving your head, now do the same with the right edge of the pillar. Now move your head left, then right and notice the expanse between your two ref points. I gurantee you could lose a B-Triple Semi in it on the opposite side of the street.
Some simple trigonometry would be interesting.
Do a head check everytime people!

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Having driven VE/VF's since they first came out, the only time i find the A pliiar a problem is at pedestrian crossings where a few times I've missed seeing the person there. As for other situations, you become accustomed to them and adapt.

My wife's 3 series Beemer has pillars not much narrower than the VF's, so I don't think its just a Commodore thing

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I have that problem too with the A Pillar, hide stuff; not as bad as the B Pillar. Had several close calls changing lanes.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
My wife's 3 series Beemer has pillars not much narrower than the VF's, so I don't think its just a Commodore thing

Our family wagon (Outlander) has big A pillars as well. Having driven VE, I don't think they are markedly different.

It is a case of having a proper look, not just a quick glance...which should be done no matter what the size of the pillars.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Its an unfortunate fact that to provide adequate rollover strength to cars which have become more and more streamlined to cut wind resistance and improve fuel economy AND accommodate curtain airbags, the A pillars will be thicker than desirable.

It is a common fault with modern cars. My Captiva has big blind spots for the same reason.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
The VE-F A pillar is ****, they used crap steel and made it way too wide, when they could of used stronger steel and not so wide, it was badly designed as the door window frame makes it only worse, I don't know why they still have door window frames nowadays they are just out dated old ****.
Ask anyone if they would like another 10mm in width on the VE-F A frame.

When you drive the old cars you can easy see every where at a glance, look at the 1960 Falcon it was a safety feature back in the day.
Look at the Holden's from HD on to the WB the A pillar was strong and thin and no one bagged them.
The VB Commodore was a sardine can and that did not stop people from driving them, but at the time the handling was the main safety feature.

My wife bought a Aurion because she said she could not see out of the new Falcon and Commodore's as well. her dad pushed like hell for her to buy a bloody Camry but she did not like them because they are gutless and the 4cyl eng are not as smooth as the V6.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
The VE-F A pillar is ****, they used crap steel and made it way too wide, when they could of used stronger steel and not so wide, it was badly designed as the door window frame makes it only worse, I don't know why they still have door window frames nowadays they are just out dated old ****.
Ask anyone if they would like another 10mm in width on the VE-F A frame.

When you drive the old cars you can easy see every where at a glance, look at the 1960 Falcon it was a safety feature back in the day.
Look at the Holden's from HD on to the WB the A pillar was strong and thin and no one bagged them.
The VB Commodore was a sardine can and that did not stop people from driving them, but at the time the handling was the main safety feature.

My wife bought a Aurion because she said she could not see out of the new Falcon and Commodore's as well. her dad pushed like hell for her to buy a bloody Camry but she did not like them because they are gutless and the 4cyl eng are not as smooth as the V6.
Well..nup. Nothing to say here that won't be offensive. Just wrong on all counts. They're not ****. Unlike the above.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
Well..nup. Nothing to say here that won't be offensive. Just wrong on all counts. They're not ****. Unlike the above.

Agree Cuda.
The VE was a quantum leap forward in body stiffness and occupant protection and the work that was put into it should be applauded.
Older cars may have thin pillars but their crashworthiness is terrible. You only need to look at the crash test pics I posted on the previous page. The VR/VS structure collapses and folds in towards the driver like it's made out of tin foil, whereas the VE passenger cell remains completely intact with the crash forces dissipated and directed away from the occupants. Give me the thick pillars any day.

Here is a very informative and interesting resource about the VE structure and the types of steel used etc..
http://www.arro.org.au/_dbase_upl/irescue_gm_holden_24jul10.pdf

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
Cant say I have ever really noticed the extra width of the A pillars on my VF. I must admit I am very observant as a driver and if you are one too it should be an automatic response to check past the A pillars on any car regardless of width.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
The VE/VF are great cars no reason to bash them. Honestly, for the price, is one of the best GM cars ever made. I can see the overall body strenght is way better than previous cars. I do not about you guys, but, mine with over 100,000 miles, does not make any noises that are assciated to body flex. The pillars are wider for need it strenght, a trade off for improved handling and safety. I had to learn to recognize the blind spots and be very aware about them.