Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Close door Respray 2021

Mattktm150

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs spac ute
Hey everyone, I'm a proud owner of a 1995 red spac factory manual vs ute. But as it is red, the paint is not up to my standards after 20 odd years of not being looked after. I bought the car in 2018 I think it was for $900 with a broken clock stuck on 165000 Kay's and the paint was now matte red. I gave it a massive go over myself (cut&polish plus pretty extensive wash) then got my detailer mate to go over it again anyways.

Interior come up brand new, and the paint actually come up really well considering. But I am fussy and it's a car I plan to keep and progressively do up. I am 18 and not made of doe and I am looking to see how much you's reckon and if it would be worth doing a close door respray on it. It's solid red so not like it's a pain in ass colour or metallic. I'll also be getting it done with a ss front lip and hardlid.

I've read threads here I don't know how many times and there is always someone to help! This is my first post tho. Thanks

Attachments

• Snapchat-118917136.jpg
    Snapchat-118917136.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 321
  • Snapchat-1152379090.jpg
    Snapchat-1152379090.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 340
H

harrop.senator

I'd be cautious on quotes under 5 at a shop. You'll be looking at 5-7 for a decent closed door.

All the money is in the prep. There will be places that advertise 3k resprays. They usually won't remove any dents or even hi fill prime and cross hatch it. It will literally be taped , bugger all removed , scotchied and sprayed.

If the paint adheres well to what's under it it'll look good for up to 5 years if it's already straight.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Like above unless you spend $7k on a closed door it will be money wasted. There is a lot of hours in painting a car, a front bumper alone is basically a day.

Mattktm150

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs spac ute
Thanks @harrop.senetor and @losh1971

I was hoping for around the 3k mark to be honest, body is pretty good, is going to need a bit of hi fill for some small stuff for sure and there is one dent on the right rear that is decent size but I think it would be a easy one to get out, not a sharp dent only thing is I'm not sure what the access is like to get around it. $7k is bloody pricey tho, that's about what I would expect for a full respray. They are only little utes lol. Not much interior to em either.

Oh well tho, might just see if I do as much of the prep as I can myself just to take some dollars off. I resprayed all the tops around the tub and the plastic quarter glass sides already. Alot more surface area but easy sanding atleast. Only tricky part left is front number and the trim lines down the sides. Everything else is basically flat sanding.

DarkMatter

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.baytechdesign.com.au
Members Ride
VX SS
Mate I envy you so much, I am looking for a ute myself and I don't want to pay much as it will be my run around car (ok maybe next project .......shhhhh don't tell the wife) but I cant find anything cheap.

Anyway keep up the good work and I hope to see more posts.

Reactions: Lex

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I would expect even a $5K to be very poor.
For $3K I had a Barina tailgate profesionally sprayed, some clear coat fixed on roof and car buffed and polished. Tailgate respray was required due to paint fade, it was previously donated to a retirement home and had all the Holden dealers name and logo stickered on the paint. It was really noticeable a few years after the stickers were removed.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you want a professional to apply the paint, then best check with him if he is happy for you to do the prep. You will likely find a lot will say no. $7k won't get you a full respray but $14k will. Put it this way every little ding that can be massaged out will be $80 each, a decent dent will be $600-$800. A bonnet paint is around $500. I have done my own paint before on my old ute and the roof alone takes basically a day. A tub side no dings another day. So working off $90 an hour you can get a rough idea on what it will cost in labour.

Materials alone will be around $1000.

H

harrop.senator

Materials are $600-1000 pending on what you use.

If you do it yourself hit up h.a.m.r coatings they'll do a kit for around$750-800. 4l hi fill , 4 litre colour kit and 7.5l colour kit all the hardeners and thinner.

Isn't technically legal to use in a backyard but most can get away with it once.

Mattktm150

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs spac ute
Thanks everyone for responding, I'm taking everyone's advice on board. My dad is a panel beater/spray painter by trade and we have a decent compressor set up for the shed to paint. But an entire car is just a bit much. But me and dad could probably get most the prep done including most the hi fill. I'm also not chasing show car quality paint, Im just after a factory standard. How it would have come from the factory. It's just hard to keep polishing a turd lol, already running out of paint to polish and a few spots have rubbed through to what I'm assuming is primer (white under red). I'm not sure if it would save me any bucks but I don't care if the inner tub doesn't get sprayed cos I'm gonna have the hardlid for it anyway and Id buy a tubliner anyway.

Also If I missed someone's comment in my reply or if I've just repeated the same crap sorry lol, didn't mean too :p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thanks everyone for responding, I'm taking everyone's advice on board. My dad is a panel beater/spray painter by trade and we have a decent compressor set up for the shed to paint. But an entire car is just a bit much. But me and dad could probably get most the prep done including most the hi fill. I'm also not chasing show car quality paint, Im just after a factory standard. How it would have come from the factory. It's just hard to keep polishing a turd lol, already running out of paint to polish and a few spots have rubbed through to what I'm assuming is primer (white under red). I'm not sure if it would save me any bucks but I don't care if the inner tub doesn't get sprayed cos I'm gonna have the hardlid for it anyway and Id buy a tubliner anyway.

Also If I missed someone's comment in my reply or if I've just repeated the same crap sorry lol, didn't mean too :p

If your Dad can do the paint, why not paint the car? Prep is 90% of the work....Judging by your comments you are willing to help with the prep....Laying the paint is the easy bit