Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Close door Respray 2021

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Red is notorious for wearing thin. If the job is too big for your father then why not break it down over a few months. I did that with my old ute and was getting to the stage where I only had a couple of things to paint before the whole car had decent paint. Agree with not painting the tub. Instead paint it out with Raptor Liner, its easy to apply, is tougher than 2k and it can ever cover scratches. I used it on my ute and it was brill.

H

harrop.senator

Booth hire $2-300 a day large enough to include body and hanging panels if in and out.

H

harrop.senator

High fill it and 180 long bar cross hatch it to re find your highs and lows.

High fill it again.

Trailer to yard.
Pay bay space to block the car down and final clean off.
Push in booth for next day.
Come in , re check masking and prepsol.
Blow colour.
Let flash off.
Blow clear.
Bake and sit til next day in booth , then move to a free car space covered for a day or 2 at room temp.

Should be able to pay $5-800 for a day in the booth and couple in a parked bay.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Why would he pay for a booth to spray in, when it states his compressor is big enough for his shed to paint the car?

H

harrop.senator

Why would he pay for a booth to spray in, when it states his compressor is big enough for his shed to paint the car?

The lights and extraction fan in the roof.

It's super hard without specifically being set up to paint 2k without the lighting or extraction for it to flash off.

The dust, moisture, over spray falling on the car and settling if all doors are shut , the baking rather then 2-3 weeks parked in the shed fully curing at room temp or risking damage etc.

For the material cost and amount of prep I'd just hire a booth these days compared to possibility of having shed related issues in the shed.

M#ick2183

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt wagon, vt hsv xu8,vs hsv senator,vs ss ute
Hey folks I have a vt wagon with no clear on the roof,hood, tops of guards an below the windows on the doors 3 little dents,I went to 4 penal shops for a closed door respray and 7 to 8g was what I got from 3 of them an one told me I could get a good "street" looking for 4g.
Time being my biggest hurdle but I'm going to have a go myself an not do it all at once do the roof first an see how I go!it's only a f#@k up if it can't be fixed right??!!so I could get real good at sanding!!

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hey folks I have a vt wagon with no clear on the roof,hood, tops of guards an below the windows on the doors 3 little dents,I went to 4 penal shops for a closed door respray and 7 to 8g was what I got from 3 of them an one told me I could get a good "street" looking for 4g.
Time being my biggest hurdle but I'm going to have a go myself an not do it all at once do the roof first an see how I go!it's only a f#@k up if it can't be fixed right??!!so I could get real good at sanding!!
Roof is the hardest panel to correct if you make a meal of it. And being at eye height it is surprisingly important for the overall look of the car.
I would advise starting on the bonnet. It's easily removable. Can be replaced if you really do it that badly. And a lower height that most don't notice little wobbles in the skin (which is quite common to have as you push directly on the bonnet to close it)

H

harrop.senator

Roof is the hardest panel to correct if you make a meal of it. And being at eye height it is surprisingly important for the overall look of the car.
I would advise starting on the bonnet. It's easily removable. Can be replaced if you really do it that badly. And a lower height that most don't notice little wobbles in the skin (which is quite common to have as you push directly on the bonnet to close it)

Agreed flat reach over panels are easy to tiger stripe to the point even a 2000 wet sand will see them.

Id start with fenders or a bonnet. Hang the bonnet up much easier for a novice don't paint if flat on tressels or the car.

Reactions: Lex

M#ick2183

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt wagon, vt hsv xu8,vs hsv senator,vs ss ute
Agreed flat reach over panels are easy to tiger stripe to the point even a 2000 wet sand will see them.

Id start with fenders or a bonnet. Hang the bonnet up much easier for a novice don't paint if flat on tressels or the car.
Thankyou for the advice as been a few years since I have sprayed a car I used to do buses when I was in my teens many moons ago but will take it in small steps easy ones first!! Right Fender will be first as I'm going to replace it