Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Closed door respray or go same colour? Looking for opinions.

lemmstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 6.0 A6
So I had an accident in my VF SSV S1 auto and have to get most of the car resprayed. I absolutely hate my colour silver.... prefer either white or black. Smash repairer told me about 900 extra if I want to change colour and do a closed door respray.

Now I know that resale will be shot on it if I do. To what extent I'm not sure. The car currently has 130km on it and I drive about 40k per year on highway for work, so soon it will go over the dreaded 200k mark.

I don't really want to park it up and buy another car / have two rego and insurances. And I do like enjoying it. But then I think....are these things going to be worth heaps later and is it worth putting all the km on it and changing the colour with a half baked job.

Looking for opinions. Interested to know predictions if what these things will be worth in 10yrs also.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Same colour. Don’t be a tool. Sell it and buy the colour you want.

lemmstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 6.0 A6
Only reason why I'm reticent to sell it is because I just put 5k in for a cam, and it's dual fuel which gives me good economy on the highway. Plus you have stamp duty etc. Big hassle. Given it's only an auto does anyone think this thing will even be worth anything with big k's?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Last of the Holden V8’s? Nah. It will be worthless.

If you go through with a colour change, you’ll be like some guy who buggered a perfect HX ute or LC Torana.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Wrap it ? At least it is reversible.

A couple of days ago there was a wrapped V2 Monaro on Carsales ( gone now ) with a HT colour scheme, green with gold side stripes.
In the photos, it looked terrific, with different shades and colours depending on the angle viewed. Garish ? Not.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yeap, respray the original colour, and vinyl wrap it to change the look.
Peel all the vinyl, buff it and sell it when the time comes.

Last edited:

lemmstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 6.0 A6
Yep thanks for the contributions guys. I'm gonna respray same colour and probably keep the grey. Don't really wanna spend my money on wrap but can see it's a good option.

Thoughts on colour scheme? Thinking red calipers, gloss black wheels, gloss black rear diffuser, gloss black high wing. Maybe those black side decals. Anyone got any other ideas?