Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Closed Door Respray??

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Hi All

Need some advice on a closed door respray for my VE Wagon.
Vehicle overall is in good nick . No dents, panel or external trim damage etc. Mechanically A1 too.
Lots of stone chips on the front bonnet and bumper . Rear was reparayed about 2 years back when I was rear ended. Colour is Karma 610R.
Questions , what would s closed door resoray cost in Melbourne?
Is it worth getting the door jambs & interor of the doors done? Much more cost involved ? Any panel shops allow you to remove trims rubbers etc yourself to cut down on labour costs ?
Any advice would be great.
Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Would be lucky if you have any change out of $4k. A bonnet respray is close to $400 nowadays.

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Would be lucky if you have any change out of $4k. A bonnet respray is close to $400 nowadays.
$400 for bonnet respray but 4k for closed door entire respray ??
With that rough cost estimate I would of thought around 2500-3k?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Difference is they slip the bonnet off and paint it. Not much masking, if any. When you mask up, folding rubbers back, taping up and prepping for respray time adds up. Some places if doing a panel repair like a bumper will remove it as it is easier to work on and just as cost effective to remove and refit as to paint it on the car. So yeah lot more work painting a whole car, especially if you don't remove panels. But don't take my word for it, go to a few crash shops and get a price.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Give you an idea. Here is a pic of an $800 repair quote from an old school panel shop who is fairly cheap compared to most and my paint is the cheapest base available.
20190418_171151.jpg

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
$400 for bonnet respray but 4k for closed door entire respray ??
With that rough cost estimate I would of thought around 2500-3k?
spraying a bonnet without any blending, removing trim, other repairs and additional masking and prep work is damn cheap compared to the whole car. Budget minimum 3-3.5k for closed door respray, more for full respray. Depends on where you go and the quality you want. You really get what you pay for.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Looking at the paint code you gave you could be looking at $400 just in paint. Plus if I am correct in saying it's metallic, it takes more skill to apply, so up goes the cost. The old days of a $2000 paint job are long gone. When I was getting quotes on various jobs I was surprised the cost of paint and panel work. It's big money and unless you do some yourself, you don't realise just how long it does take. I do some of my own work like painting on the ute and it takes a lot of time to get the job looking sweet.

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Thanks all. Most likely look at this again in the warmer months.
As, far as prep, as I know nothing about spray painting, does the existing clear coat need to be removed before applying base colour coats?
Need information ammo so I dont get screwed over when gaining quotes haha
Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If it is just the bonnet and front bumper looking a bit rough you could just get those two done.

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Well i went ahead and had the whole front end resprayed due to some a,.. hole pulling out of a parking bay into my 2 passenger side doors. Made sense to have all spray work done at once, the accident damage plus the extra front end.
Didnt bother with insurance all up $2300, looks awesome, no more stone chips, rest of car cut polished Looks brand new.

Now one tiny thing is bugging me I found a small sctatch about 50mm long on my roof, can be caught with fingernail, How hard is it to repair this on your roof? Im hoping someone isnt going to say you need to respray the whole roof.
Cheers