Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

club rego vs full rego

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Hmm funny, in the clubs I have belonged to I have not heard of anyone ever having problems. ****, club members are rarely even pulled over. But living in the country we just don't have the police presence one has in the city/larger areas. We don't even have a 24/7 station here......

The run co-ordinator we have is pretty good, because of the diverse range of interests in the club there are 2-3 runs to go on some weekends, others have nil. Members are always encouraged to organise runs, of course notifying the run co-ordinator and/or plate registrar if they are occurring.

At this stage the club is unsure if we will opt into the 60 day trial. Some members are concerned we will get members who just join for cheap rego and not actually contribute to/take part in club activities. Which is kinda the idea of having a club in the first place. I say we have plenty of members we don't see on a regular basis, so it's a non issue.

I have heard of some clubs in Vic getting pinged as they were being run as for-profit affairs with exorbitant member fees preying on those who just wanted to do their own thing for 90 days a year. Tad illegal.

But anyway I have done the sums....I can afford 3 lots of full rego a year but the $700 p/a saving for club rego would help quite a bit.

Last edited:

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
And yes, I have 4 club regoed cars....Perfect....90 days per car X 4 cars = 360 days usage, all for the price of 1 fully registered car.

My idea of heaven :) Sell the fiesta for $12k, $6k each on two 80s modern classics.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Hmm funny, in the clubs I have belonged to I have not heard of anyone ever having problems. ****, club members are rarely even pulled over. But living in the country we just don't have the police presence one has in the city/larger areas. We don't even have a 24/7 station here......

The run co-ordinator we have is pretty good, because of the diverse range of interests in the club there are 2-3 runs to go on some weekends, others have nil. Members are always encouraged to organise runs, of course notifying the run co-ordinator and/or plate registrar if they are occurring.

At this stage the club is unsure if we will opt into the 60 day trial. Some members are concerned we will get members who just join for cheap rego and not actually contribute to/take part in club activities. Which is kinda the idea of having a club in the first place. I say we have plenty of members we don't see on a regular basis, so it's a non issue.

I have heard of some clubs in Vic getting pinged as they were being run as for-profit affairs with exorbitant member fees preying on those who just wanted to do their own thing for 90 days a year. Tad illegal.

But anyway I have done the sums....I can afford 3 lots of full rego a year but the $700 p/a saving for club rego would help quite a bit.

Never had any issues with police here, nor heard of any.

The just joining a club for cheap rego thing has been an issue in the past with CRS for the club I'm in, so we have a point system where there's a minimum number of points to accrue from meetings/runs etc to be eligible for club rego.
I know of other clubs that use a minimum number of meetings to attend or similar, so it can be policed.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hi all,

I am just about finished restoring a 1981 Volvo 244. It is unregistered, as I let it lapse.

Now Volvo jokes aside, I will soon need to register it.

I have 2 basic choices. I can get full registration or club registration. Full rego is for me $750 a year, and I can use the car whenever I want. Club rego is $52/yr and I can only use on club runs, and other things pending club approval. There are changes afoot in NSW to change this to 60 days a year by way of a logbook.

Now I already have 2 cars on full rego (VB Commodore, Fiesta), can I justify a 3rd? Who here also has historic/club rego? How have you found it?

To me, it's a question of why would you want three fully registered cars? Obviously, you can only drive one at a time and perhaps you might lend one to a friend, but, if you want to drive the Volvo at any time, wouldn't club rego suffice for the number of times you'd drive it? You already have a "classic" in the VB and a more sensible daily in the Fiesta. What possible use could you put the Volvo to that either of the others can't fulfil?

Club rego for sure.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh I'm leaning towards club rego, even if its just to save quite a bit of $$$.

And if I ever have the hankering to go for a classic blast, or to take something different to work for 'fun friday' or whatever, I've always got the VB I suppose......

I can always give it a try and if it's too much of a hassle I can always put it on full rego :)

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
To me, it's a question of why would you want three fully registered cars? Obviously, you can only drive one at a time and perhaps you might lend one to a friend, but, if you want to drive the Volvo at any time, wouldn't club rego suffice for the number of times you'd drive it? You already have a "classic" in the VB and a more sensible daily in the Fiesta. What possible use could you put the Volvo to that either of the others can't fulfil?

Club rego for sure.

Going to a volvo only show, for sure ;)

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon

My dad is a member of the Cadillac club in vic and is on 45 day club reg. To stop people joining the club just for cheap rego and insurance, you have to attend 2 club events a year to stay in the club.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
To stop people joining the club just for cheap rego and insurance, you have to attend 2 club events a year to stay in the club.

Attending two club events a year doesn't mean your reason for joining isn't for the cheap rego and insurance. :D

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
To stop people joining the club just for cheap rego and insurance, you have to attend 2 club events a year to stay in the club.

Attending two club events a year doesn't mean your reason for joining isn't for the cheap rego and insurance. :D
No it doesn't, but it at least makes people put a little bit of effort in. Otherwise people sign up, and they're never to be seen again until they need their renewals signed. Plus, there's a considerable jump in fees once the number of members becomes over 50.

Active members make for a much better club environment. We're considering implementing a 12 month probationary period for new members, prior to them becoming eligible for club reg.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Start a new club... The "Cheap Rego Car Club if Victoria". :D