Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

clunk coming from front right wheel when turning

brisbane_vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore executive
hey guys. you were really helpful with my diff servicing question and I hope the commodore experts here can help me diagnose.

when turning at low speed I hear a clunk about 50% of the time coming from about the wheel area, it sounds bloody awful. its not a clicking noise or anything like that, just a violent sounding clunk. any ideas?

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
Could be a broke sway bar linkage.

Have a look under the wheel, mounted to the strut with 2 bushes should be a thin 10 inch or so bar connecting to a larger bar (sway bar) with another 2 bushes. See if the link is still in one peice

Sometimes they break and when turning knock each other.

Ben

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
Sway Bar Link Pin

This is what youre looking for as suggested by TrikkBen

I do also agree this is the first place to look

Marked with the Arrows in the picture ( Its a picture on a VS, But is the same principle as the VT )

Attachments

• VS-Triangle.jpg
    VS-Triangle.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 16,203

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
I've got a bit of a clunk coming from the front, sounds almost like it's from a similar area or more in the steering itself.
only every so often though and it's a solid clunk.

My sway bars links, power steering and shocks/springs have all been replaced in the last 2 months or so, any other things to look for?
(will obviously check the sway bar links etc again just in case). (dont mean to hijack thread, but may have some relevance to what you're looking for also)

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
I've got a bit of a clunk coming from the front, sounds almost like it's from a similar area or more in the steering itself.
only every so often though and it's a solid clunk.

My sway bars links, power steering and shocks/springs have all been replaced in the last 2 months or so, any other things to look for?
(will obviously check the sway bar links etc again just in case). (dont mean to hijack thread, but may have some relevance to what you're looking for also)

Suspension mounts/bearings? That's what it was on mine.

brisbane_vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore executive
Could be a broke sway bar linkage.

Have a look under the wheel, mounted to the strut with 2 bushes should be a thin 10 inch or so bar connecting to a larger bar (sway bar) with another 2 bushes. See if the link is still in one peice

Sometimes they break and when turning knock each other.

Ben

i will check it out tomorrow. how dangerous is it to drive like this if you are correct?

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
i will check it out tomorrow. how dangerous is it to drive like this if you are correct?

Your handling suffers, and if you have a prang it could throw up some issues with insurance. Be careful in otherwords, get it fixed asap if the sway bar link is gone.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
Id. look at a few things .
One. What the first few posters suggested Sway bar links if theyre broken ,bent or incorrectly installed they will clink upon steering as the sway bar bushes have metal washers on them and they move out of alignment hence the clunk. another way to test this is to find a very bumpy road paticularly with manholes covers in the road that have sunk if you run over them and it makes a clunk noise or as rather rough its a suspension issue
Two. If its comming from the steering area check your tie rod ends if the boots are deteriorated then these will make a clunck noise as they arent properly lubicated.

IMPORTANT* if you have suspension components that are broken or faulty your vehicles handling will not be 100% this can cause alot of issues in handling and traction for your vehicle. in other words you can cause more damage by leaving it.

brisbane_vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore executive
well I got under there and had a really good look. Everything look in place except for a bit of rubber coming out of the right sway bar bush and it came off really easily. So I reckon thats prolly it?

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
Youre probably right

You could pick up a pair of link pins and bushes from an auto shop
Noelathene or white line i think are the brand names about $30

30 minute job to replace yourself

Last edited: