Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunk into R from cold on incline

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
My car is parked on an incline and when I start from cold and shift into R I get a rather loud clunk from the transmission. Service told me that this is normal if the car is on an incline. They took it in and greased some joints (?) but it still exhibits the same problem. Has anyone had this problem and is this something I should be concerned about. Car is less than two years old.

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
its because the torque convertor has the weight of the car on it.
it is normal IF you dont apply your handbrake enough and the car rolls that little bit extra after you let your foot off the brake (when its in park on an incline).
to stop it happening, with your foot on the brake, put it in park, apply the handbrake a click more than you usually do and then release the brake pedal.
if the car doesnt roll any then you should be right.
again, with your foot on the brake, move it from park to reverse and see if it clunks.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
like said above the car ends up loading up on the park pin in the auto you can pull the handbrake on before selecting park and let it take up the weight first with you foot off the brake then select park but it can still happen from the car creaping on the handbrake over night.subarus are bad for throwing the timing belt 1st thing in the morning if you park on a hill pointing up hill and leaving the car in 1st they creap on the brake over night and the engine turns backwards and slackens the timing belt turn it over in the morning and you toast the belt i know off topic but yeah bit of useless info for yous that may own a subi

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
All good advice. Will try these out later.

Gorrell72

Reaction score
Members Ride
my09.5 SS
i normally put the hand brake on first then let it roll back then put into park. i hate the sound of it as well

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
its only a small pin too thats why i dont like it

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
if you don't apply the hand brake first that well hurt your trans.

just **** to (N) ,apply hand brake, let it roll , when stopped. shift to park

after destroying 4 transmissions *not with the commodore * I just do this Everytime I park, and watch for all the trans. stuff like crazy :S

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
Is this a problem just with Commodores? I owned a Honda with an auto box for nearly five years with absolutely no problems. Before that a 520i and likewise no problems.

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
Fords do it as well.
i would have thought it would be applicable to all makes - guess not.