Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunk of death - Feedback needed.

BadJesse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VT
Hello just trying to get some feedback, the clunk.

Vt commodore 98 manual t5, engine mounts were worn to the point that my sump was on the cross member "apparently" in roadworthy, mechanic replaced them and since then this clunk has developed, i also kinda span the wheels one night in a heated debate and got more noticeable.

There was no clunk before roadworthy. This clunk is when off acceleration, i can tap the pedal and it will clunk when off accel every time. Since then i have replaced all front and rear sway bar link bushes, new sub-frame mount bushes to try to isolate the issue.. and get it ready for my baby whos due any-day.

I went under the car and found by rotating left and right the drive shaft made that clunk but couldn't determine front or rear,in the cabin sounds defiantly from rear. I was convinced eventually it was the diff, that's where i could hear it most and uni had no play, i assumed it was some wicked backlash or side bearings were going out. Replaced the diff and still the same sound, disappointed but that's mechanics for you.

I noticed while under, the Rubber coupling on the back of the transmission is cracked and needs replacing and would make some sense to make a clunk.

My question is would that rubber coupling make a clunk? or center bearing? Thats all i got left to do on the drive-line and running out of time.

Anything appreciated.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
with the $$$ pressures you have been under and are about to get into

I hope it is a drive line problem -- you have to replace that cracked coupling or bolts will break ( $50 each I last thought )
check condition of the other coupling and centre bearing condition

Last edited:

BadJesse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VT
im a mechanic so it will all be at cost, pressure to put my first born in bad car is worrying me. Just got under the car then, took a few shots, center bearing looks fine the boot fine, rubber coupling cracking around bolts. Guess my question is, the clunk, could it be the rubber coupling, car starts to jerk now back and fourth until shes at running temp. Could be some loose frame bolts. will check tonight. hm

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The transmission mount can do that (assuming you haven't replaced it). I've seen a couple of broken ones, the getrag mounts are taller than the auto ones too iirc, so make sure you have the correct one.

BadJesse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VT
My flex disc is ####ed. Ty

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
well done --- you take great pictures

hope that sorts it for you

Last edited:

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
centre drive shaft bearing is warped by the sound of it, easier to get an exchange drive shaft, as that way you know all uni's are new plus the centre bearing.

Last edited: