Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunk/pop noise from below front

crazy.vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Hi, I am having a issue with my VR. There is a clunk or a pop noise that comes from the front under the car when turning left or right. Some times I can feel it on the foot rest. Any ideas what it might be? Thanks.

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
Check you stabiliser bar link pins and bushes. It would happen on occasion to me and that is what it turned out to be. They are just a rod about 30cm long - one end attaches to the suspension strut, the other end to the stabiliser bar.

If not that I would still guess the rubbers in some part of your steering or suspension are perished.

See how you go.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
^^ What Jim Carey said.

08sky_way

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
I would definitely check to see if the bushes on the bottom of the stabiliser links are still there. The problem on my car occurred about 5000 km after new front and rear suspension springs and shock absorbers had been replaced. The sway bar link rods were not replaced at that time. It is possible that the bushes on the old link rods could have been upset by the changes made to the front suspension, by being over-stressed or resettling into a new position. I fitted a pair of new link rods and bushes for $66.

crazy.vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Thanks. It was the stabiliser links. $35 for the front set H/D. Might replace the rears now while I'm at it.