Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunk!!!

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
Hey all,
I've noticed on a few occasions while driving around that when i put my foot on the brake theres a loud clunk (clunks once) from the passenger side front wheel area...i think that maybe the caliper is lose or something like that...but i can't be sure, so that's why i'm asking you guys...
i'll be having a look around down there later, cheers, Jason.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
it might be the bit os suspension being loose rather than the brakes itself, either way i would check it out asap

zegerman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive MANUAL
look at the swaybar link rubbers... when there gone you will get a clunk every now and then, it happened to me and when i changed them it went away... i dunno what else it could be??

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
Well I'd check the caliper bolts aswell, as mione came loose over time, but knowing me, I didn't tighten them enough when I fixed the swaybar links

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
No offennce but, Instead of asking, why not just wip the wheel off and have a look ?

If it was a loose caliper you should be fixing it instead of talking about it, could be a drama if the thing did come loose, ouch !

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
oh **** sorry digisol...i didnt mean to ask a question...gees i'm an idiot...considering it's my first car and i haven't done alot on it i'm sure i'll be able to diagnose and fix any problem...this place annoys me sometimes...

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Jason - please read Digisols post again....he is offering the correct advice and in a friendly manner. Your 'clunk' may well be a loose caliper which can quite easily cause an accident in which you, your loved ones or a stranger get hurt and that ain't good. It could also be one of a dozen other things but safety must come first. Hope the fix is simple.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
NP but it kinda looks like a question ? either way the commodore is sometimes a real bugger to diagnose simple problems, although there are harder, basically what I said was, if you think something like a caliper was loose the first thing to grab would be the jack, not the PC.

If it did work loose and the final bolt fell out the damage and following accident may be fatal, immediately the caliper came loose just the normal rolling pad/disk friction would tear the thing off in a big way, locking the wheel and spearing you off the road or into oncoming traffic, either not real healthy.

Just to remove the wheel your going to see all the rubbers and if one is missing, as for the front suspension there are not that many bits there, and the quickest way to learn is to see what's wrong, grab a spanner and fix it after all it's not as if your pulling the engine apart.

Most things are after all common sense, but of course some are pretty complicated for any beginner, especially once they added a computer plus countless sensors and other great fun little bits that are hard to fault find and expensive to repair or replace.

I learnt the basics on race bikes, but my first car was a Austin Freeway that cost $50, and the second an EJ that I rebuilt with no previous knowledge of cars but how to drive em and a workshop manual, the old 138 grey motor was pretty easy to fix.

Usually fixing it is easy, diagnosing what's wrong is the tricky bit.

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
sorry man, thanks for the info...i had a look when i rotated the wheels, i shook, pushed and pulled everything that looked movable and everything was solid on all wheels, the two fronts were the same and the rears were the same...it sounds like it comes from the wheel area on the passenger side, but it also sounds the same as something falling down in the boot, though mine is always empty so that isnt it.

i've only heard this clunk probably 5 times in the year i've had the car...so i don't know...

and yeah sorry before...this HSC is getting to me...