Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

clunking noise lhf???

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN series II custom :) and VZ exec
hey everyone, just the first week of my holidays down in ballarat i noticed a clunking noise in the left hand front of my vn, when i grab the wheel at the top i can jolt it really hard and makes the noise pretty loud, when i jack it up from the body and let all the suspension hand down it doesnt make any noise, i checked all the sway bar links and are all good, ball joint looks ok but i will double check that tomorro, i jsut replaced the front shocks about 3 months ago so im just thinking it could be the nut that holds the shock come loose or something, jsut wondering if anyone got any ideas of what else it could be and also if anyone knows anyone around ballarat that is any good, like mechanical wise???, and good workshops around, if i was at home i would check it at work, but its a long way home so i got no hoist or nothing,

cheers, nick

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
yes definally check that big nut that holds the shocker in as me sisters vp had a pretty bad clunking sound from the front rightand i could pull the wheel and could hear a big clunk noise but only when the car was lowered...not jacked up. its easy to check...jack car up on that side (and place a stand under car...never rely on a jack) and you will be able to cut the cable tie and pull the boot up exposing the shocker/nut....if this is loose fix ASAP (big mutis and some lock tight) as it rooted me sisters shocker on the front in no time

however it could also be the wheel bearings etc... but what you are describeing was exactly the same as what happened with me

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah wheel bearings are good, and ball joints dont look to bad, its pretty noisy cos i can here it when i drive over any little bump, with all the windows shut well im going to have a look at it today,

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
well done it was the nut on top of the shocker housing, all tight now, so i will see what happens, thanks for everyones help, jsut wanted to get some different ideas so i could look at everything else,

cheers, nick

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
glad it was sorted