Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cluster calibration

Ckirkhoff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute S3
Hi.

I have recently replaced my cluster to a VZ S cluster and have a few questions in that regards.
I got the awesome SRS Airbag fault which is not too much of a concern.

But what really annoys me is, that at 110 km/h it shows 118 km/h. (The old one would show 114 km/h) Can the cluster be programmed to think it got smaller tires on? Or can I put bigger tires on to compensate?
I have 205 70 R15 on at the moment which are already bigger than stock I think.

The other think that I am confused about is the Fuel calculations.
My old cluster always showed 600km to empty on a full tank. The new one showed 700. After driving around for a bit the new one showed around the 600 mark. When I put the old one back in it showed 680 when I filled it up?

My question is.... Does the cluster LEARN from experience or is it suppose to be programmed as well?

Cheers
Christian

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Changing the PPK should fix up the speedo problem. Get the PPK from the old cluster and put it in the new one. Tech2 can do that.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but the car gives you the distance to empty based on how much fuel is left, and your average L/100km. The average fuel consumption will of course change with your driving, so let it get your driving style down pat.

Ckirkhoff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute S3
Yeah I just didn't wanna bother the mechanic of reading everything from my old cluster, then replace with the new one and program it. Are there any website that will show the settings for each car or something maybe? :)

Yeah would agree with you regarding the fuel calculations, but the numbers I have given is all with full tank and 0km on trip. :)
Today the new cluster showed 780km the empty. Haha... As if. :-D

SS-Z LS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z Ute
Read the current PPK in your "new" cluster and multiply by 0.932 (110/118=0.932), enter the result in as the new PPK in Tech2 or whatever software you use.

Cheers
Jamie

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
mine always shows around 780 800 when full after filling up then it will drop down according to km's etc as stated above

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Yeah I just didn't wanna bother the mechanic of reading everything from my old cluster, then replace with the new one and program it. Are there any website that will show the settings for each car or something maybe? :)

Literally a 3 minute job and that includes taking the dash apart to get to the cluster.