Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cluster Help..

Paul_grima

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VT Exec
y Hey im just looking for some help on a cluster issue.

I recently took out my cluster and while i when i fitted it back it and turned on the ignition it shorted out and started smoking.
I bought a level 2 cluster and have fitted that, but when i turn the ignition on the temperature gauge rises to its max and every warning light is liten up. and the revs and speedo is not moving? does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong??
also would like to know the correct way of connecting a cluster. like plug 'A' and plug 'B' and holes 1, 2 and 3...

Thanks pauli. :)

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
Sounds like you put a Vr-Vs cluster in.

VR-VS clusters will **NOT** fit in vn-vp's (They Do fit - BUT--> ).. They will always start to smoke up..and catch fire.

If you have a Vn-Vp cluster that is NOT a Vr-Vs one.. then I'd be saying the cluster is blown :)
I recommend getting another cluster :)

Now, for Lvl 1 (Which includes: Speedo - Fuel & Temp gauges) Will just plug in and you off.
For lvl 2 (Which includes:Speedo - Fuel -temp & Rev gauges) Will just plug and play again :)
So.. lvl 1 & 2 clusters are just plug in.. And it should work with no hassles :)

Lvl 3 (Which includes: Speedo - Fuel - temp & Rev gauges - LCD Screens) Can not just plug and play.. You will need the Switch Block TRIP COMPUTER one..And a wireing loom for Odo to work.. (Odo is displayed on the LCD screen) -See Greenvn about the loom for one :)

Paul_grima

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VT Exec
Yeh it should plug and play but im thinking ive plugged it in wrong?? its a a lvl2 has the rev tacho.

Do u know the correct way to plug it in as im thinking ive connected it back the front or something. because the temp gauge raises to the max. all light come on, and rev and speedo dont work.

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
It only fits one way.. :)

The cluster is defiantly shagged by the sounds.. But to be sure..

Reset your ECU ..

Also, another tip:
Turn the key to prime the fuel pump.. does the temp gauge go to Hot if the engine is cold as bone? If yes.. The cluster is shagged.. OR the ECU needs a reset :)

ALSO.. Give the dash a few taps.. Could be sticky gauges to

Paul_grima

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VT Exec
does disconnecting the battey reset the ecu? cause ive done that. and the dash has three connectors behind it how do i know i havent plugged one in the wrong hole? and yes it goes hot when the car is off.

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
When you connect the 3 plugs behind the cluster into the Dash itself.. You will hear a click..And it should hold in there firmly. (Firmly enough for you to screw it in - Also, if its not sitting in there right.. The screw holes will not match up)

D/C the battery does reset the ECU aswell.

I'd say your cluster is defiantly shagged..But to be sure.. Put your old cluster back on and see if the speedo and the temp gauge works fine, if they do.. Your lvl 2 cluster is done. They are cheap to pick up :)

Paul_grima

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VT Exec
but behind my cluster the plugs dont sit properly and they have moved from there original possition im not sure if plug a or b goes in 2 or 3. oh ok ive tryed doing the battery thing already still got the same reading. its possible a track is damaged on the back of the cluster..
thanks mate

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
Im 99.99% sure its the cluster :)

I've picked up 4 lvl 2 clusters from the wreckers.. They all worked but one.. The **** one I had didint do anything. no lights..no gauges working etc..

The reason I got 4 is.. I like to tinker with em..And see how to replace the cogs and the Face plate :)

.. If I remember correctly.. The plugs in the dash that go into the cluster can move a lil bit.. (Mines does anyway..not sure about em all) :)

Paul_grima

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VT Exec
yeh ile take it back and tell the bloke its dodgey. Thanks for your help mate ;)

just outa curiousity do u know where to mount the horn for a vp as i had to buy one but just dont know where its bolts up.

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
If you got another lvl 2 cluster..And it doesn't work.. something is very wrong.. but the chances of that are highly unlikely :p