Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cluster short / battery draining

Michael vdb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx equip S1
Can any one help ? As I'm driving all instruments and lights on my cluster play up i lose speedo ,taco, fuel and temperature instruments and all lights come on but when I stop they all start working again and then when I park it for the night the battery will be dead flat .. anyone got an idea whats up ( I've put another battery in )

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Pretty sure the voltage regulator on your alternator is stuffed.
A cheap and easy fix.
First check the voltage at the battery with the engine running, it should be around 14 - 14.4 volts. Anything a fair bit higher or lower is no good.

Michael vdb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx equip S1
Yep I've put the multimeter on it and it's putting out 10 - 18 volts thanks mate

Michael vdb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx equip S1
A cheap and easy fix.
First check the voltage at the battery with the engine running, it should be around 14 - 14.4 volts. Anything a fair bit higher or lower is no good.
A cheap and easy fix.
I put the multimeter on and it was throwing 10 to 17.8 volt then I accidentally shorted the voltage regulator out now everything is working fine haha don't know how long that will last

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
They are reasonably cheap so you should replace it asap anyway. That high voltage can cause damage and that is probably what killed your battery.

Michael vdb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx equip S1
They are reasonably cheap so you should replace it asap anyway. That high voltage can cause damage and that is probably what killed your battery.
Yer mate I'm not putting to much faith in it can't afford to fry another battery ,i was just happy to get the car home