Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clutch Cable on a V6

05 VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 M6 Silver
Hi all..I ahve a Calais V6, 5 spd manual, and everyone that drives it says the clutch is really heavy...Clutch is in good condition, and is always heavy even after it has been changed...Could I possibly be up for a new clutch cable, like maybe the old one has gone hard..Or could it be something else?

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
Commodore clutches are really heavy compared with jap cars. If the people who drive it are used to driving with a light clutch then they will think it's heavy. The first time I drove my holden I was supprised at how heavy it was but now it just seems normal. The first time I got back in my toyota after a long drive in the holden I almost slammed the clutch through the firewall because I was so used to pressing really hard lol.

05 VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 M6 Silver
Hmm...ok, reason I ask is cause my bro drives a Ford and he changed his clutch cable, and it went from a hard clutch, to a soft/light clutch...

dodgy

Reaction score
Why not disconnect it and run some oil down the cable

dodgy

Reaction score
Also check the spring in the pedal box is on one bit and not broken

05 VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 M6 Silver
Hi dodgy, yeah, i replaced the spring a few months back...

dodgy

Reaction score
Ok, just unhook cable from pedal box, pull through firewall, tie up and drop some oil down the cable.

Also while it is unhooked, jump under the car and see if you can move the clutch by hand.

I had a cable with a kink in it, the replacement cable seemed to fix the issue.

Hillerus

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VP Exec,Gsx-R 750
I did the clutch cable in my SS and the pedal is that light it feels like a hydraulic one. Make sure its not adjusted too tight, as, on the V8's at least, you can pull the fork slightly out of the crappy plastic throwout bearing, making the fork drag on the bellhousing, which would also give a hard pedal

05 VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 M6 Silver
I changed this on the weekend, and the pedal is heaps light now...the old cable was all hard and crap..so much happier i put the new one on..

But 1 question, the fork in the bellhousing, it doesn't go back all the way...Is it meant too?