Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clutch cable/pedal pressure vh sle

kimaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore SLE
Hi all i have a Vh sle with a toploader 4speed that has been undriven for 18 months.. For dome reason my clutch has stopped working.. I mean no back pressure on the pedal at all.
I had a look under the dust cover and the cable is still connected to the fork..
However where the cable comes through the firewall the metal plug in the middle of the cable pops in and out.. Im not sure what this part is as I am no mechanic!
Will post photos for reference, any help will be appreciated, cheers

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Hi all i have a Vh sle with a toploader 4speed that has been undriven for 18 months.. For dome reason my clutch has stopped working.. I mean no back pressure on the pedal at all.
I had a look under the dust cover and the cable is still connected to the fork..
However where the cable comes through the firewall the metal plug in the middle of the cable pops in and out.. Im not sure what this part is as I am no mechanic!
Will post photos for reference, any help will be appreciated, cheers

I think its busted same thing use to happen all the time to me in my vc hdt. Problem is the clutch cable is so close to the extractors the heat ends up stuffing the rubber and the cable pulls through. I busted mine about 4 times in the space of 2 years notably one time whilst conducting a huge burnout had to drive home in 3rd gear about 15 klms made it and even parked her in the garage up a hill lol. Replace the cable and rubbers and zip tie it as far away from the exhaust as you can and if your really trick make up a custom heat shield to prevent further failures.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
that metal plug thing is called a clutch cable 'damper'
I'm not 100% what it's purpose is, but judging by it's description it 'dampens' lol :)

but it's missing a rubber insert where the cable goes in. That should help prevent the cable from pulling out.

VK_Clutchcable.jpg

Not sure about the firewall being broken Ari ? The damper and cable are mounted directly to a metal tube which is welded to/part of the clutch/brake pedal bracket assembly which protrudes through the firewall. Cable doesn't actually mount to the firewall.

If the cable isn't located properly via the rubber insert it will tend rub on the bottom of the metal damper, eventually snapping the inner cable.
I used to have the same problem until I mounted I found a rubber insert to fit to the dampener.

Also the clutch cables will get hot with certain extractor brands. I used to have HM headers on my old 308 VH, couldn't keep the heat away from the cable. I tied it back to the brake lines, wrapped it in heat shield. But sitting in traffic in hot weather, the cable would get so hot, it would seize up. I push the clutch in, then take my foot off the pedal and the pedal would only slowly start returning. Once once I got moving and some airflow the clutch operation would return to normal. I replaced countless cables, worked for a few months and then play up again.... Never really came up with a solution

With my VH SS, I've got a 304 with Pacemakers, no problems. I just fit a spring to the cable and inner guard, which keeps it away from the extractors.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. grommets and washer have 'disappeared' ( see Daz's diagram)
is the cable still hooked to the pedal??

I suggest the whole thing be pulled out, missing bits replaced
the inner cable checked for smoothness (if not sliding easily by hand get a new SHORT* cable)
fit and adjust the cable as per the Holden manual

* ps there are 2 cables for V8 Commodores - long and short
the long one is too near the exhaust always get the (later VK) short cable which has an external insulator on it

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Check that the clutch fork has not fatigued and bent. Mine has failed in the past.

kimaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore SLE
Managed to get it working again, the fork was ok but the cable had seized up, ive put wd40 in as a temporary fix but would like to resolve the problem..
It is originally an auto so the cable is aftermarket, where would you get a grommet that suits?

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
Clutch cable will always be heat affected , the nylon liner inside the outer cable melts thru and then the inner cable plastic covering wears away until its steel on steel then snap .
A good heat insulating cover will help to extend cable life , went thru afew in my old V8 VB and now resolved the problem on misses HZ Tonner running a cable clutch set up .
Fitted a high heat sleeve to help protect the cable so far so good for over three years , but not a daily driver more of a weekend cruiser .