Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

clutch diagnostics/replacement

danbran

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS manual ute & push bike,
Hi, i have a VS ute manual (getrag 260) onto the v6,
ive owned the car for nearly a week and ive notices that the car is either spinning the wheels like crazy or some crazy clutch slip. heres my evidence, please help!

- the LSD is rooted and could just be spinning one wheel?
- the speedo indicates that im going faster than i really am when it slips (even deep into 3rd gear on road)

- the car is up to 250k and probably up for its second clutch?
- the engine revs heaps when i drop the clutch into third which i doubt would be wheel spin?

where do i start? its beyond me?!?!

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Does it smell like tyre or clutch burning?

cuzzynanna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S II
Does it smell like tyre or clutch burning?
Having a similar issue to the one described above, defs smell something that I’m sure is not tyres so assume is clutch, should I run some other diagnostics or start looking for a new clutch? 2nd and 3rd over rev when I put my foot down a bit

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Mate OP was only online for the day of posting about 5 years ago.
I'd say it was clutch, OP was revving "well into third gear in a SV6". Clutches will slip under high engine loading scenarios. If you put it in 3rd or 4th at low speed and then put your foot flat on the accelerator you'll soon know.
Good luck.

cuzzynanna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S II
Mate OP was only online for the day of posting about 5 years ago.
I'd say it was clutch, OP was revving "well into third gear in a SV6". Clutches will slip under high engine loading scenarios. If you put it in 3rd or 4th at low speed and then put your foot flat on the accelerator you'll soon know.
Good luck.
haha yeh had realised that might only have a slim chance of gettn a reply back after so long but thanks for your time and response, have tried shifting at low revs into 3rd and 4th and then foot flat, over revs and smell clutch so sounds like I need a new one
Thanks again

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
It could be likely that it's the original clutch, and whoever you bought it off didn't want to spend the cost of a solid flywheel so just sold it. You will need to get a solid flywheel when you replace it if yours doesn't have one.